2 day Bean Chowder.
You can make 2 day Bean Chowder using 16 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of 2 day Bean Chowder
- Prepare 1 lb of dry great northern beans.
- You need 2 cup of chopped onion.
- You need 1 cup of sliced celery.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves minced.
- You need 3 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 of ham bone.
- You need 1 packages of cubed ham chunks (16 oz).
- It’s 2 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 can of chicken broth (14.5 oz).
- You need 1 can of stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz).
- It’s 1 of Bay leaf.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground cloves.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 1 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1 cup of cream (half and half).
- Prepare 2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
2 day Bean Chowder step by step
- Rinse and sort through beans to check for any small pebbles or debris..
- Place beans in a Dutch oven, add water to cover by 2 inches..
- Bring to boil, boil 2 min..
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour..
- Drain beans and place them in a separate bowl..
- In the Dutch oven sauté onion, celery and garlic in 3T butter until tender..
- Put beans back in Dutch oven along with ham bone, ham chunks, water, broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, ground cloves and pepper. ( below is a pic of soup mixture and the ham chunks I purchased at Wal-mart).
- Bring to boil then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about 2 1/2 hrs. Until beans are soft..
- Remove ham bone and bay leaf..
- Let sit until cool enough to handle then chill in refrigerator overnight. (Just put the Dutch oven in fridge, no need to transfer to another container).
- Skim fat off of top. ( this pic shows the bottom half has been skimmed and top half still has fat layer. Just so you can see what you're needing to remove. ).
- Stir in milk and cream. Cook on low until heated. (Do not allow to boil because of the milk and cream that have been added.).
- Just before serving stir in cheese..
- Remember, if you have leftovers and need to reheat, do not bring to boil..
recipe by kellysuepeak64 @cookpad