Black eyes peas and ham shanks. Black-eyed peas simmered with ham hocks and seasoning for a true Southern craving! How to make black eye peas. Do you know why black-eyed peas are lucky on New Year's Day?
Soak dried black eyed peas overnight per package directions (or follow package directions for quick. Black-eyed peas served over steamed rice is called Hoppin' John. Drain peas and put them in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed soup pot. You can make Black eyes peas and ham shanks using 14 ingredients and 1 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Black eyes peas and ham shanks
- You need 1 of bag black eye peas.
- You need 1 of Ham shank.
- It’s 1 of chopped onion.
- It’s 4 clove of garlic cloves (mince).
- It’s 1/2 cup of red bell pepper (dice).
- It’s 1/2 cup of green bell pepper (dice).
- Prepare 2 of celery sticks (dice).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Lawry's seasoing.
- You need 1 tsp of ground black pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of onion powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of thyme ground.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of oregano ground.
- Prepare 3 dash of Liquid Smoke.
Just about everywhere you go, you find the same gritty, muddy textured peas sitting in a thick I tweeked a little. I used a smoked ham shank along with diced kielbasa. I also added some chopped fresh spinach which added some nice color. Try this simple black-eyed peas with ham hocks recipe, also known as Hoppin' John.
Black eyes peas and ham shanks instructions
- Start boiling ham shank. It takes 1 to 2 hours for it to get nice and tender I use the both from the ham shank add black eye peas if you need to add water to the pot you can, boil black eye peas on meduim saute onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper , till transulcent, add to black eye peas add seasoing , peas take 1 hour till done.
recipe by Valerieeliz @cookpad
Serve with rice and freshly baked cornbread! Pick over the peas and rinse well, then soak in cold water overnight. Place ham hocks, ham bone, or hog jowl in a large kettle with water to cover. In a large bowl, combine the black-eyed peas, bell pepper, shallots, celery, carrots, cabbage, and ham. In a medium bowl, whisk together the Pour the vinaigrette over the black-eyed pea mixture.