My mom's Chilean cake. It cracked everywhere, but it was still good. I was very apprehensive about submerging my cake into a water bath, but might try it next time. This recipe was given to my mom by a next door neighbor many years ago.
My mom has found the most success achieving the ideal cake texture by freezing the layers ahead of frosting the cake, so it's worth trying if you have the time. The layers can be refrigerated or frozen with wax paper in between and tightly covered in plastic wrap. Chile Cake From The Cookie Lady: Ft. You can make My mom's Chilean cake using 7 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of My mom's Chilean cake
- Prepare of sugar.
- It’s of eggs.
- It’s of flour.
- You need of milk.
- It’s of butter.
- Prepare of baking powder.
- You need of orange.
Adorable Brooklyn & Mom Kenya Moore. Baking Welsh cakes connects me to home and my mom. Here's how our family makes them. Arizona Republic reporter Tirion Morris shares a family recipe for Welsh cakes, a baked snack her mother taught. "This recipe is an amazing authentic Chilean cake also known as 'Torta de Mil Hojas' or 'Thousand Layers Cake.' Totally worth it!" – chileanwife.
My mom's Chilean cake step by step
- Pre heat the oven at 180 °C.
- Beat sugar and eggs together with electric mixer..
- Melt butter, then add butter and milk to the mix..
- Pass the flour and baking powder through a strainer before adding to the dough. Incorporate to the mix..
- Squeeze the juice and grate the skin of about 1/3 or 1/2 of the orange (depending on size of orange and desired taste). Add to the dough and mix. Dough should be liquid enough to pour into the mold but very thick..
- OPTIONAL: for flavoring, you may change the orange for lemon, cocoa powder, 1 tbp vanilla essence, anise, etc..
- Spread some oil on the inside surfaces of the mold, pour the mix in evenly and put inside the oven for 40 to 60 minutes. Do not open the oven door before 40 minutes as it might become flat..
- Remove from the oven and stick a pointy knife in the middle of the cake until you reach the bottom of the mold. Remove the knife, if it comes out with batter or stains from it, put back in the oven for about 10 minutes. Repeat this process until knife comes out mostly clean..
- Let rest for about 10 minutes and preferably serve warm. You can also serve it cool after it has cooled down. Keep in an airtight container, preferably at room temperature as the fridge might make it become stiff..
- OPTIONAL: decorate the top with frosting, melted chocolate, fruits, sprinkles, etc. You may also serve a slice with honey or syrup on top.
Manjar (Dulce de Leche) from Scratch "This was my first attempt to make dulce de leche from scratch. The raw ingredient approach produces a far superior result." – Colleen All cake, all edible, all pumpy. My mom whipped this together for the office valentines day party. Do you have the heart to like it? What to Serve with Mom's Cheater Chili Recipe.