Vickys 'Free-From' Victoria Sponge Cake, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can cook Vickys 'Free-From' Victoria Sponge Cake, GF DF EF SF NF using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vickys 'Free-From' Victoria Sponge Cake, GF DF EF SF NF
- Prepare of Cake.
- Prepare of plain / gluten-free flour.
- You need of baking powder.
- You need of xanthan gum if using a gluten-free flour blend.
- It’s of granulated sugar.
- Prepare of light coconut milk / milk of choice.
- You need of olive oil.
- It’s of golden syrup.
- You need of vanilla extract.
- Prepare of baking soda / bicarb.
- You need of Jam & Buttercream Filling.
- Prepare of softened Stork margarine (the gold foil block is DF & SF but use any marg of choice).
- You need of icing / powdered sugar plus extra for dusting.
- Prepare of vanilla extract.
- Prepare of strawberry jam (room temperature).
Vickys 'Free-From' Victoria Sponge Cake, GF DF EF SF NF instructions
- Preheat the oven to gas 4 / 180C / 350°F and grease & line 2 x 6" round cake tins.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum into a bowl. If using gluten-free flour I suggest either of my blends below https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/338133-vickys-gluten-free-baking-powder https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/333165-vickys-gluten-allergy-free-flour-cake-flour-mix https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/338049-vickys-gluten-free-flour-mix-4-cakes-cookies.
- Mix the sugar with the wet ingredients in another bowl. When well combined stir in the baking soda.
- Whisk the liquid mixture gradually into the flour until you have a smooth batter. If using gluten-free flour, let the mixture sit for 10 minutes then add enough extra milk to loosen the batter to a thick pouring consistency around 30 – 60 mls / an eighth – a quarter cup.
- Divide evenly between the 2 tins.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden, risen and the cake has pulled away from the sides of the tin.
- Let cool in the tin for 5 minutes before releasing and cooling fully on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, make the filling by beating the margarine until smooth then mixing in the icing sugar and vanilla.
- Spread the jam over the top of the base cake, then smooth the buttercream filling over the top of the jam.
- Place the other cake layer on top and dust with some extra sieved icing sugar to decorate.
- You can change the vanilla for any other flavouring of choice – almond, strawberry, lemon, coffee, rum….. To make chocolate cake, exchange 4 tablespoons of flour for cocoa powder.
recipe by Vicky@Jacks Free-From Cookbook @cookpad