Buttermilk Corn Muffins.
You can cook Buttermilk Corn Muffins using 9 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Buttermilk Corn Muffins
- You need 1 of large egg.
- You need 1 of + 1/8 cups buttermilk plus a little more for brushing at the end.
- You need 1/3 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 3 Tablespoons of sour cream.
- You need 1 of + 1/4 cups all purpose flour.
- You need 3/4 cup of corn meal (fine or medium ground).
- It’s 4 teaspoons of baking powder.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Buttermilk Corn Muffins step by step
- Preheat the oven to 400F..
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, sugar, vegetable oil, and sour cream until they're thoroughly incorporated..
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt into the wet mixture and stir until all the ingredients are just thoroughly combined and no more. (It's very important to resist the urge to stir the batter to a smooth consistency. When you do that, you can overwork the gluten in the flour, which results in a more dense and chewy texture to the muffin, which is not what we want here.) Let the batter sit for 10 to 30 minutes..
- Pour the batter into 10 to 12 even portions into a buttered or lined muffin tin (I use silicone molds), and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, depending on the size (more time for fewer muffins, less time for more)..
- If you'd like a little extra browning like you see in the photo, before the last 4 minutes of baking, brush the top of each muffin with a little buttermilk. (Or you can just take a stick of butter and run it once over the tops. The heat does the melting, and I save a dirty dish. 😉 ).