Jamaican Christmas Cake. Jamaican Christmas cake, which is also referred to as Jamaican black cake has long been the most popular Jamaican dessert in Jamaica. Jamaican black cake is thought to be derived from the British figgy pudding, but with an island twist. While it has traditionally been thought of as a Christmas cake, it is actually baked and eaten all year round.
This dark and spongy cake is a labor of love that is rich in flavors from rum soaked fruits. It is very popular during Christmas time and is most often served with sorrel. One day ahead, in microwaveable bowl, combine raisins, currants, peel, walnuts, prunes and cherries. You can cook Jamaican Christmas Cake using 25 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Jamaican Christmas Cake
- Prepare of Jamaican white over proof rum.
- It’s of port wine or red label wine.
- Prepare of raisins.
- It’s of currants.
- Prepare of dates.
- It’s of dried prunes.
- It’s of maraschino cherries.
- Prepare of chopped almonds.
- You need of orange juice.
- Prepare of grated zest from one lime.
- You need of dark molasses.
- Prepare of browning.
- You need of lime juice.
- You need of vanilla extract.
- Prepare of almond extract.
- It’s of eggs.
- It’s of butter.
- You need of flour.
- It’s of brown sugar.
- You need of baking powder.
- You need of ground nutmeg.
- You need of ground all spice.
- Prepare of ground clove.
- Prepare of ground cinnamon.
- It’s of salt.
Jamaican Fruit Cake Recipe aka 'Jamaican Chrismus Cake' The preparation is certainly not as difficult as you might have initially thought. In fact, not only is it super easy, it is quite simple as well – though it uses all the traditional Jamaican ingredients. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, then add rum, lime juice, vanilla, almond extract, and lime zest.
Jamaican Christmas Cake step by step
- Preheat oven to 350 degree then grease and flour 2 round baking pans or which size pan u choose..
- In a blender add rum, wine, dates, raisins,cherries with their liquid, prunes, currants, chopped almond, orange juice and blend until all the fruits are chopped. Let sit for 1hr (2days is way better 😀).
- In a large bowl cream sugar and butter. Then add eggs mix well.
- Add molasses, browning, blended fruit mixture, lime juice, vanilla, almond extract and stir.
- Add flour, nutmeg, cloves, all spice, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, lime zest and stir. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into your baking pans and bake for 1hr. You can put some cherries in the center of the batter if you wish. Stick a toothpick in the middle to ensure it's done. Tooth pick will come out clean if it's done. Enjoy!.
Store and stew prunes with sugar to taste, then chop fine. Cut all fruit very fine, except currants. Place all fruit in a large jar, omitting nuts. Jamaican cake is a deliciously spiced, warming bake that is perfect for the colder months. Try this instead of your normal Christmas cake and you'll never look back.