Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern). This no-fail biscuit recipe will make you look like a pro. This recipe came from my great-great-grandmother, and was handed down to all the women in my family, and we are all Southern. The recipe for these four-ingredient biscuits has been handed down for many generations. —Fran Thompson, Tarboro, North Carolina.
The instructions are given for beginners. You will find that these are similar to a Hardee's or Bojangles. The thing that sets these biscuits apart from the pack is. You can make Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern) using 6 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern)
- Prepare 3 1/2 cup of WHITELILY self rising flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of white sugar.
- It’s 1/2 cup of butter flavor shortening.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of cold buttermilk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of WHITELILY self rising flour for rolling and dusting.
- Prepare 1/2 stick of melted butter for brushing.
Best served warm and fresh from the oven, these tender biscuits are as delicious for breakfast as they are with supper. They are tender and rich and the recipe is a little bit different than the typical southern biscuit recipe. In pursuit of the most perfect Southern Biscuit. Our goal is flaky biscuits which still have a slightly cake-like texture, a delicious flavor.
Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern) instructions
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Using a bowl cut the shortening into the flour and sugar.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk.
- Stir the flour and buttermilk together just until combined (use a spatula this mix is very sticky) scraping sides of bowl as you go.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, dusting more flour on top and begin to spread out dough. Fold four times.
- Roll out dough to one and a 1/4 inch thickness and use a three inch biscuit cutter.
- Use small amount of shortening to grease your pan.
- Arrange biscuits slightly apart from each other (I used the leftover dough to make a special biscuit).
- Bake 10 minutes and take out of oven to brush with melted butter then bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes till golden brown.
- Brush with additional butter right after they come out of the oven they are soooooooo good ENJOY 😍.