Rock Cakes. Rock cakes are simply the easiest British baked good to make. They are also known as rock buns, depending on where you live in the United Kingdom. The recipe, however, is always the same: A simple dough made of flour, baking powder, butter, sugar, milk, and egg is studded with dried fruit, rolled into balls, and baked.
So easy to make, and lots of fun for children to join in too. Delia's Good Old Rock Cakes recipe. These were once economy cakes, not too expensive, providing cake for large families. You can cook Rock Cakes using 7 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Rock Cakes
- Prepare of plain flour.
- Prepare of butter.
- You need of castor sugar.
- You need of dried mixed fruits.
- You need of egg.
- Prepare of milk.
- You need of baking powder.
They were not going to be included in this edition – until, that is, we made some. And unbelievably they went down a storm. A rock cake, also called a rock bun, is a small cake with a rough surface resembling a rock. They were promoted by the Ministry of Food during the Second World War since they require fewer eggs and less sugar than ordinary cakes, an important savings in a time of strict rationing.
Rock Cakes step by step
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degree Celsius. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large baking bowl, add the softened butter and lightly rub together with fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add in the mixed fruits and sugar. Use a fork or a tablespoon to stir such that it is well mixed. Make a well in the centre and crack the egg follow by the milk..
- Use the tablespoon lightly and swiftly mixed it until it form a sticky dough. Using a tablespoon, divide the mixture evenly spaced on the baking sheet..
- Bake in the preheated oven 180oC for 15 mins or until golden brown and well risen. The rock buns should be firm to the touch, but they harden up properly once cold. Best served warm!.
Traditional recipes bulked them with oatmeal, which was more readily available than white flour. Old Fashioned Rock Cakes, while they don't sound very appetizing, these little babies will soon become a family favourite. Pls can d rock cake b fried incase thr is no oven available. I omit the fruit and make a small hole in the middle and put a teaspoon of jam in them. Our easy, traditional rock cake recipe is the ideal afternoon treat.