Buttermilk fried morel mushrooms. Fried morels can be done in several ways, but I prefer this method. Slice large morels in half lengthwise and keep small ones whole. Drop the mushrooms into a bowl of cool water and shake them around a bit to let any debris fall out of the little nooks and crannies in them.
They are nearly impossible to be farmed and typically grow in nature by certain types of dying trees – depending on where you live will. Breaded and fried morels is a popular way to eat these delicacies of the woods. It is a simple process to bread and fry morel mushrooms, much like frying This will help to remove the bugs inside and re hydrate the mushrooms. You can make Buttermilk fried morel mushrooms using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Buttermilk fried morel mushrooms
- You need 1 cup of buttermilk.
- You need 4 oz of Morel mushrooms.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of AP flour.
- You need 1/4 cup of Cornstarch.
- You need 1/4 cup of Egg White Powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of Porcini Powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Onion Powder.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of Garlic Powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of Dry Mustard.
- It’s 1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper.
- Prepare 1 of Fresh cracked Black Pepper to taste.
- Prepare 1 of Salt to taste.
Frying tends to be essentially the same for a lot of things, you batter and fry. What I love is how little variations make a big difference in this equation. Place halved morel mushrooms in a large bowl; cover with cold, lightly salted water. Two weeks away from the technical start of summer and the mountains are just beginning to sport their spring green.
Buttermilk fried morel mushrooms step by step
- Heat oil to 360°F fahrenheit.
- While the oil is heating, Soak Morels in Buttermilk for 3-5 minutes..
- While the mushrooms are soaking , Combine Flour,Cornstarch, Egg White Powder, and seasonings in separate bowl..
- Take Morels out of the buttermilk and be sure to let excess buttermilk drip off. Place the morels in the bowl with the seasoned flour and shake well to coat them. Put the flour and mushrooms into a flour sifter with a bowl beneath to catch the excess flour and shake the flour off the mushrooms, leaving just enough seasoned flour to coat the mushrooms evenly..
- Place the mushrooms in the hot oil and let them fry for about 1 1/2 minutes on the one side and then flip them in the oil and let fry for another 1 1/2 minutes or until golden and crispy..
- Place fried mushrooms in dry towel to catch excess oil and be sure to season with salt just after they come out while theyre still kind of oily, so that the salt sticks to them..
- Let cool for 30 second-1minute. Served over grilled Bison NY Strip with Caramelized Onion Demi-Glace.
But what a lovely spring green it is – so brief and yet dazzling like little jewels under the intense spotlight of the high sun. These pan fried morel mushrooms are the perfect way to use up the delicious spring mushroom. So get out and forage those mushrooms and get to cooking! Fry or cook morels whole, especially smaller, younger ones. It is difficult to describe the famous morel flavor.