Easy Chocolate Sponge Cake. Browse For Yummy & Hassle-Free Cake & Cupcake Recipes From Kraft®. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Treat yourself to this basic chocolate sponge recipe, then try other decadent chocolate cake recipes such as our ultimate chocolate fudge cake.
Set another cake layer on top, and repeat process with remaining simple syrup, frosting, and cake layers. Frost top and sides of cake in a swirling motion. Put the cocoa powder and boiling water into a large bowl and mix well to make a paste. You can make Easy Chocolate Sponge Cake using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Easy Chocolate Sponge Cake
- Prepare 1 cup of Flour.
- You need 1 cup of White sugar.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Cocoa powder.
- It’s 1/4 of Salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- It’s 6 of Eggs.
Try these cakes using this Chocolate Sponge Cake: Chocolate Kiev Cake – Sponge cake with layers of walnuts, meringue and dulce de leche. Prague Cake – Chocolate sponge cake with a chocolate custard buttercream. Marble Cake – Chocolate and yellow sponge cake with cherry juice and a sour cream frosting. Either put grease-proof paper into two sandwich cake tins or grease them with butter.
Easy Chocolate Sponge Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F..
- Sift and combine all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt) and set aside..
- Put together all 6 eggs and mix through an electric mixer for 6 minutes or until the mixture is foamy and creamy in color. The secret to this recipe is that, the foamy the mixture, the better..
- Add the vanilla extract in the foamy batter and continue mixing..
- Gradually add the dry mixture into the foamy batter and continue mixing..
- Line your pan with wax paper and pour all the batter..
- Bake for 25-30mins. Remember to check once in a while with a skewer or fork as baking time varies with the size of the cake. Once baked, the skewer should come out clean. You may also opt to underbake a little for a moist cake..
To start, place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. How to Make This Chocolate Sponge Cake. This easy chocolate sponge cake recipe uses the separated egg technique. In this method the yolks are beaten into the batter but the egg whites are whipped before being gently folded in. Trust me, this technique makes for a fantastically light cake.