Croque Monsieur with a simple side salad. And a croque madame for the ladies.
You can cook Croque Monsieur with a simple side salad. And a croque madame for the ladies using 11 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Croque Monsieur with a simple side salad. And a croque madame for the ladies
- Prepare 4 slices of sourdough or crusty bread.
- Prepare 75 grams of butter.
- Prepare 75 grams of grated cheddar cheese.
- It’s 75 grams of grated gruyere cheese.
- It’s 4 of thick slices of good quality ham.
- It’s 125 ml of milk.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 of small onion chopped in quarters.
- It’s 20 grams of plain flour.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of heaped Dijon mustard.
- You need of Good splash of Worcestershire sauce.
Croque Monsieur with a simple side salad. And a croque madame for the ladies step by step
- Make a simple béchamel sauce. Using milk, bay leaves and a small onion. Add the Dijon mustard, a little Worcestershire sauce and the cheddar cheese. It should be a thick creamy sauce with a dark deep flavour. (well that’s how I like it but by all means use less of the mustard) Season to taste all the time..
- Then with your slices of sourdough bread spread a little butter on one side and grill until golden (one side only) Turn the bread over and spread each slice with a thin layer of the béchamel sauce and add generous slices of ham. Add your grated gruyère cheese and form Into a sandwich. In a frying pan melt some butter and fry gently on both sides until golden. Transfer to a preheated oven and cook for 4-5 minutes so it warms right through to the centre..
- Now you are ready to plate up, but like a gentleman I am, I fried a free range egg to turn one of the sandwiches into a croque madame!! Unfortunately or maybe fortunately in this case, I had no female company to share with…..So I ate them both myself 😉😉 All the best and enjoy..
recipe by RECIPES FROM MY TRAVELS @cookpad