Creamy Ham and Potato Soup.
You can have Creamy Ham and Potato Soup using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- It’s 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of chopped ham.
- It’s 3 tbsp. of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 of celery stalks, diced.
- You need 2 of medium carrots, peeled and diced.
- You need 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 3 tbsp. of all purpose flour.
- You need 2 cups of unsalted chicken broth.
- You need 3 cups of milk.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of each pepper, poultry seasoning.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of salt free all purpose seasoning.
- Prepare Pinch of nutmeg.
- It’s 4 of small (or 2 large) russet potatoes, peeled and diced.
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup step by step
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the ham and cook, stirring often, until the ham has browned up a bit. Then remove it to a seperate plate and cover the plate with foil to keep it warm..
- Add the butter to the pot. Once the butter has melted, add the celery, carrots and onion with a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, until the veggies have begun to soften. Then stir in the garlic and cook until it's fragrant, another minute or so. Increase the heat to med-high, then sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir to incorporate it. Cook and stir for 2 minutes..
- Slowly pour in the broth while stirring, then add the milk and all of the seasonings. Let it all come up to a low boil. Once it begins to boil, stir in the potatoes and return the ham to the pot, reduce the heat back down to medium and let it simmer for about 10 or so minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Then remove from the heat and serve..
- This soup is also very good with some kielbasa or smoked sausage in place of the ham, pictured below..
recipe by Christina @cookpad