Easy Chicken Ham.
You can have Easy Chicken Ham using 5 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Easy Chicken Ham
- Prepare 2 of Boneless chicken breast.
- You need 2 of heaping tablespoons Sugar (caster or light brown).
- You need 1 of suitable amount Coarsely ground black pepper.
- It’s 2 of heaping teaspoons Salt.
- You need 2 of Bay leaves.
Easy Chicken Ham step by step
- I bought boneless chicken breasts on sale..
- Remove the skin from the chicken meat..
- Flatten the chicken breast as best you can by butterflying and spreading the thickest part of the breast..
- To each breast meat, add 1 heaping tablespoon of sugar. I used a mix of white and light brown sugars, as you can see by the color in the photo. I used 3 heaping teaspoons to make up the heaping tablespoon..
- Rub the sugar on both sides evenly..
- Sprinkle black pepper evenly over the chicken. This time, sprinkle uniformly on one side..
- Over each breast meat, sprinkle 1 heaping teaspoon of salt. Rub the meat to thoroughly spread the salt and pepper over both sides..
- Put small tears into the bay leaves and lay on the chicken. Place the chicken into an airtight bag (such as a ziplock)..
- Let the chicken rest in the refrigerator like this for 2 days..
- After 2 days have passed, remove the chicken from the bag and place in a bowl. Cover the chicken with water and let it sit for 1 hour. After one hour, the sugar should have dissolved and you should only feel the gritty ground pepper on the surface..
- After one hour, shape the ham. Pat dry the ham with a paper towel. With the pepper still attached, lay the chicken so the opposite sides face, creating a even thickness. With the bay leaves spread on top, wrap the chicken tightly like a piece of candy..
- Seal the ends with rubber bands..
- It should look like this..
- In a pot big enough to hold the wrapped chicken, add a good amount of water, and bring to a boil..
- Add the wrapped meat and wait for the boiling to resume..
- As soon as it starts boiling, turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid..
- Let the pot sit with the lid on for 6-7 hours. Do not lift the lid or disturb the pot. When the water has cooled the Chicken Ham is finished. It will keep in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. Note: I ate it after 20 days and it was still delicious..
- The salt I used this time contains citrus peel, poppy seed, flax seed, and cayenne pepper. It is called "Uchina- shio chan." If you add other herbs to the ham, it will probably turn out good..
recipe by cookpad.japan @cookpad