Split Pea Ham Soup.
You can cook Split Pea Ham Soup using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Split Pea Ham Soup
- Prepare of In Dutch Oven.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1 cup of chopped onion.
- You need 1 cup of chopped celery.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped carrots.
- You need 2 clove of chopped garlic.
- You need 2 cup of dried green split peas (rinsed and sorted through to insure no little rocks are going in your soup).
- It’s 2 1/2 tsp of Vegeta (seasoned vegetable salt).
- You need 8 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 of dried bayleaf.
- Prepare 1 lb of smoked kielbasa, cut into large chunks. so its easy to remove before blending soup. Slice up after cooking.
Split Pea Ham Soup instructions
- Sautee butter, oil, celery, carrot, onion and garlic over medium heat, until onions are translucent..
- Add chicken broth, green split peas, bayleaf and vegeta.
- Add smoked kielbasa.
- Bring up to boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, covered, stirring occasionally (or until peas are somewhat falling apart and tender).
- NOW I like my soup a little chunky, but some like it completely blended. I just use my immersion (stick) blender and pulse it a few times, until I reach a desired consistency. You can use a blender too, if you would like. REMOVE BAYLEAF AND MEAT BEFORE BLENDING.
- Slice up kielbasa. Add back to soup. Enjoy!.
- You can substitute smoked ham hock, cubed ham steak, reg sausage…whatever you choose..
recipe by Carolyn @cookpad