Herby Sausage Rolls. Place well apart on the baking sheet. Put half the sausage meat in a thin line down the middle and brush either side of the meat with beaten egg. Fold the pastry over the filling to make a long roll shape with a lip where the pastry joins.
A warm welcome to my kitchen: a space in which the challenges of the outside world and any feelings of food guilt are left firmly at the kitchen door! Please dip in and out as casually as you want… HERBY SAUSAGE ROLLS. This is a really easy recipe for homemade sausage rolls adding any herbs, fresh or dry that you happen to have. You can make Herby Sausage Rolls using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Herby Sausage Rolls
- You need 1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry.
- It’s 450 g of sausagemeat.
- It’s 1 of onion, finely chopped.
- It’s 2 tsp of dried sage.
- It’s 2 tsp of dried thyme.
- You need of salt & pepper.
- You need of egg wash made with 1 whole egg, beaten or 1 egg yolk mixed with a little milk.
Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, and fry gently until soft and golden. Remove the skins from the sausages and place the meat in a bowl with the cooled onion, sage. Think of this as pork Wellington with the herby punch of Toulouse sausage wrapped in flaky pastry.
Herby Sausage Rolls step by step
- Heat some oil in a frying pan & cook the onion for about 5 minutes. Add the dried herbs & cook until the onion is nice & soft but not brown. Tip the onion on to some kitchen towel to drain & cool..
- Dust your work surface with some flour & roll out the pastry a little to make it a bit thinner, try to keep the sides as straight as possible. Take some of the sausage mixture & place along the pastry about 2cm in from the edge, keep going until you get to the end.Carefully lift up the edge of the pastry & roll it over ½ way, brush the inside edge of the pastry with egg wash & roll the rest of the way. Trim with a sharp knife, then turn the sausage roll so that the seam is on the bottom..
- Repeat with the remaining sausage mix & pastry. Once you have 2 long sausage rolls you can cut them into 8 medium or 16 small sausage rolls. Make a couple of slits in each one with a sharp knife (but don't cut all the way through!) then brush them with egg wash..
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 Fan/200C/Gas 6. Serve warm or cold-if you can't resist when they come out of the oven, be careful as the filling will be VERY hot!.
Place two baking sheets into the hot oven as the sausage rolls will rise more quickly if placed on hot baking sheets. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions. This is a really easy recipe for homemade sausage rolls adding any herbs, fresh or dry that you happen to have. Set… Manchester sausage: This herby sausage contains cloves, ginger, nutmeg, mace, and white pepper. Marylebone sausage: Expect mace, sage, and ginger in this traditional London butcher's sausage.