You can make Yule Log using 24 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Yule Log
- Prepare of For the sponge.
- It’s 5 nos of Eggs -.
- Prepare 120 g of Caster Sugar -.
- You need 60 g of All purpose flour -.
- You need 30 g of Cocoa Powder -.
- It’s 1 tsp of Baking powder -.
- You need pinch of Salt -.
- Prepare 2 tbsps of Vegetable oil.
- It’s of cream For the mocha.
- It’s 75 grams of Butter (approx) -.
- You need 1 cup of Icing Sugar (xtra needed as per requirements) – as required.
- Prepare as required of Milk -.
- You need 1 tsp of Vanilla essence -.
- It’s 3 – 4 tbsps of coffee Fresh strong -.
- Prepare 3 – 4 tbsps of Mascarpon cheese (optional).
- You need of chocolate butter cream For the.
- It’s 50 g of Butter around.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Icing sugar – little less than.
- You need 1/4 cup of Cocoa powder.
- You need 2 – 3 tbsps of Milk – as required.
- You need of hazelnut For the crunch.
- You need of Hazelnut – finely chopped.
- It’s cup 1/4cup of Brown sugar -.
- You need 2 tbsps of Butter.
Yule Log instructions
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees..
- Beat the egg yolks,sugar and essence till light in colour..
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Fold this into the egg yolk, along with veg oil. until mixed well..
- Beat the egg whites till they form stiff peaks. Fold the cocoa mixture into the eeg white mixture carefully till well combined. Mix in one direction..
- Place butter paper in a rectangular/jelly roll pan (35 x 25 cm). Pour this mixture and bake till tooth pick comes out clean. As it is a thin cake it takes less than 15 minutes to bake. Test with toothpick inserted right after 10 minutes..
- Invert the cake immediate onto a butter paper dusted with icing sugar. Cover it with a tea towel and let the cake cool down.
- For the mocha cream: Beat butter till soft. Add coffee, essence and beat again. Slowly add the icing sugar. Add 2 tbsp milk. Keep beating till you reach spreading consistency. If butter-cream is loose add icing sugar and if it is dry add milk, till you reach creamy consistency. You may add mascarpone to this. In that case the amount of butter can be reduced a little say by about 15 g..
- For the chocolate butter cream: Beat butter till soft. Add icing sugar and cocoa. Beat again and add milk/sugar to adjust the consistency till you get a spreadable creamy butter-cream..
- For the crunch – Melt brown sugar in a deep pan. When it begins to melt add in the hazelnuts. Stir so that all the nuts are coated with sugar. Add the butter and keep on low fire till all the sugar and butter melted. Pour/spread this onto a butter sheet. Powder it coarsely once dry and hard..
- To assemble : Transfer the cake slowly on to a tea towel. Spread the mocha cream on to the cooled down cake. Sprinkle the crunch. Make sure there are no big chunks/pieces as it will make rolling difficult. Carefully roll it inside from the long end with the help of cloth- simultaneously from the sides and the center. Cling wrap it tightly and keep it in the fridge for half an hour. Remove it from the fridge, spread the chocolate butter cream. And decorate as you like. It is to be refrigerated….
- Tips – If you make a very thick cake it will crack while rolling. So make sure your cake pan is correct size. If your pan is small you may make cupcakes with rest of the batter. Small cracks in the center are fine and will be covered with chocolate butter-cream. Also if your cake is over-baked and dry it will crack as well. make sure all the ingredients for the butter cream and cake are at room temperature. I dont have very accurate measurements for frostings. I adjust according to consistenc….