My Family's Go-to Recipe for Okonomiyaki.
You can have My Family's Go-to Recipe for Okonomiyaki using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of My Family's Go-to Recipe for Okonomiyaki
- It’s 1/2 of of a medium head Cabbage (chopped).
- Prepare 200 grams of Pork belly slices (cut into bite sizes).
- It’s of Batter: (It's a very thick, sticky batter).
- Prepare 6 tbsp of ●Cake flour.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of Nagaimo, also called mountain yam (grated into pulp).
- It’s 4 tbsp of Dashi stock (or water + dashi stock granules).
- It’s 2 of ●Eggs.
- You need 2 tbsp of ●Tempura crumbs.
- It’s 1 of Okonomiyaki sauce.
- Prepare 1 of Mayonnaise.
- Prepare 1 of Aonori.
- Prepare 1 of Bonito flakes.
My Family's Go-to Recipe for Okonomiyaki instructions
- Mix the batter ingredients marked with a ●. Mix just the flour and dashi stock first, and then it'll be easier to add other ingredients. Sakura shrimp and squid (not listed) make good additions to the batter too..
- Toss about one and a half handfuls of the cabbage and a ladle full of the batter into a bowl, and mix well. Pour the mixture onto a pre-heated electric griddle, and spread it evenly into a thick circle..
- The batter will not flow out around the mound of cabbage. You might be worried that there isn't enough batter, but it's fine. The only concern here would be whether there's enough cabbage..
- Top this with as much sliced pork belly as you like. Use thin slices and line them up so that there's no space in between! Or, at least that's how my family likes it..
- When the bottom has browned, flip the patty over. Make absolutely sure not to press or smash the patty! You'll have to be content with just adjusting the shape a little..
- After a bit, it's easier to use 2 spatulas to flip the patty over again..
- Brush the top with your preferred okonomiyaki sauce, top with aonori and katsuobushi (bonito flakes), and enjoy..
- This time, the okonomiyaki was cooked by my husband, who usually doesn't cook it. The shape came out poorly, but see! Even an amateur was able to make this. It didn't fall apart..