Okonomiyaki with Lots of Cabbage. Okonomiyaki, translated as "grilled as you like" is a savory Japanese cabbage pancake (or some might call it Japanese pizza) made with When you cook okonomiyaki Hiroshima style you will first make the pancake/crepe and then pile the remaining ingredients on top, starting with lots of cabbage. Louis' version uses quickly brined cabbage and a thin batter for maximum crispiness. Togarashi (also called Japanese Seven Spice) is available at Asian markets and some supermarkets.
When I came home, my friend Becky—a fellow okonomiyaki nut—and I tried to replicate the recipe to satisfy our cravings. Spread over the pancake with Brown sauce and mayonnaise and sprinkle fish flakes and nori seaweed. Okonomiyaki, which means "as you like it, grilled," are robust cabbage pancakes made with add-ins such as shrimp, squid, vegetables, pork belly or sausage. You can make Okonomiyaki with Lots of Cabbage using 7 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Okonomiyaki with Lots of Cabbage
- Prepare 200 grams of Cake flour.
- It’s 2 of Eggs.
- You need 200 ml of Dashi stock.
- Prepare 60 grams of Yamaimo yam.
- It’s 1/2 of Cabbage.
- Prepare 1/2 of Squid.
- Prepare 6 slice of Thinly sliced pork belly.
A thin batter of wheat flour, bonito-kelp broth (dashi) and eggs binds the lot, which then gets generously doused with okonomi sauce (think. Let's enjoy cooking Osaka soul food Okonomiyaki (Japanese pizza / savory pancake)! You can create your original Okonomiyaki! Of course I will prepare some Osaka secret ingredients!
Okonomiyaki with Lots of Cabbage step by step
- Mix the grated yamaimo yam, dashi stock, eggs, and cake flour together. Let rest for about an hour..
- After the batter has rested, add the chopped squid. The juices of the squid is important too..
- Chop the cabbage into 5 mm or smaller pieces..
- Add a handful of cabbage to 1 ladle full of batter. Mix to incorporate lots of air..
- Pour the mixture into a pan and place the pork slices on top..
- Cover with a lid and let steam..
- When you flip the okonomiyaki over, it will look like this. A small non-stick pan is easy to use..
- Flip over again. The pork will be crispy. It's done..
- It has lots of cabbage..
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese-style pancake made from egg, flour, cabbage and water with lots of toppings. Crisp on the outside and custardy in the center, okonomiyaki are pan-fried Japanese pancakes that traditionally feature a filling of cabbage and pork belly Here, bacon can be substituted for the pork belly, replaced with shrimp or omitted entirely You can find the more unusual toppings like hondashi. A savory Japanese cabbage pancake topped with a combination of okonomi sauce, Japanese mayo, crispy bacon, scallions, sesame seeds and bonito flakes. The Best Okonomiyaki Recipe (Okonomi-Yaki, Japanese Pancake, Japanese Pizza) – Osaka Style, w/ or w/o special ingredients such as Okonomiyaki Flour. Our favorite "best" Osaka Okonomiyaki recipe (also called Kansai style Okonomiyai) is immediately below, and further down you will find even.