You can have Almighty Imifrénto using 30 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Almighty Imifrénto
- Prepare of Walnut Cake.
- Prepare of walnuts.
- It’s of Greek rusks.
- It’s of (4 tsps) baking powder.
- You need of nutmegs, grated.
- It’s of cinnamon, ground.
- Prepare of cloves, ground.
- It’s of unsalted butter.
- You need of light muscovado sugar.
- You need of eggs, separated.
- It’s of zest of 1 mandarin.
- It’s of vanilla.
- Prepare of zest of 1 lemon.
- Prepare of lemon juice.
- Prepare of kumquat liqueur or cognac.
- Prepare of Syrup for Cake.
- Prepare of caster sugar.
- You need of water.
- It’s of zest of 1 mandarin.
- It’s of mandarin juice.
- You need of cinnamon stick.
- It’s of Kumquat liqueur or cognac.
- It’s of Imifrénto.
- It’s of caster sugar.
- It’s of grated zest of 1 lemon.
- You need of lemon juice.
- Prepare of stem ginger, finely chopped.
- Prepare of good quality Greek yoghurt.
- You need of egg whites.
- It’s of double cream.
Almighty Imifrénto step by step
- Heat the oven to 170 degrees C, 340 degrees F, Gas mark 3..
- To make the walnut cake: Place the butter and sugar in a mixer and blend on a medium speed for around 5 minutes until smooth and creamy and lighter in colour. Keep the mixer on medium speed and add the egg yolks one at a time, ensuring each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Pour in the liqueur, zests and mix for a few seconds. Add the baking powder to the lemon juice and stir. It will become frothy. Add this to the bowl and set aside..
- Roughly chop the walnuts. Blitz the barley rusks in a food processor until fine. Place both in a large bowl and add the cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir with a large spoon. Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and blend..
- Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk with a pinch of salt until thick and glossy until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whisked egg whites into the walnut mixture. Grease and line a 30cm x 25cm rectangular baking tin. Place the mixture in the tin and bake for around 35 minutes until light brown on top. Leave to cool..
- Whilst the cake is cooling, add all the ingredients for the syrup and boil for 5 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved. Using a skewer poke holes all over the cake. Remove the cinnamon stick and slowly pour the syrup over the cake..
- To make the Imifrénto: Place the sugar, ginger, lemon zest and juice in a pot, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes..
- Whilst the syrup is boiling beat the egg whites in a mixer until stiff peaks form. Turn the mixer down to low and gradually pour in the hot syrup. Turn the mixer back up to high and continue to beat for 10 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and glossy..
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the yoghurt then gradually fold in the egg whites. Spoon into an ice cream maker and let it churn for 30 minutes. Place in a freezer overnight..
- Serve the walnut cake with a dollop of Imifrénto, stem ginger and a walnut.
recipe by Laura @cookpad