Okonomiyaki with Lots of Cabbage. Okonomiyaki – Japanese savoury pancake containing loads of shredded cabbage topped with egg You might have heard that the cooking style of okonomiyaki with the batter mixed with shredded I thought it was better to mix cabbage in the batter so that you can eat a lot of vegies without realizing. Louis' version uses quickly brined cabbage and a thin batter for maximum crispiness. Togarashi (also called Japanese Seven Spice) is available at Asian markets and some supermarkets.
When I came home, my friend Becky—a fellow okonomiyaki nut—and I tried to replicate the recipe to satisfy our cravings. Okonomiyaki, which means "as you like it, grilled," are robust cabbage pancakes made with add-ins such as shrimp, squid, vegetables, pork belly or sausage. A thin batter of wheat flour, bonito-kelp broth (dashi) and eggs binds the lot, which then gets generously doused with okonomi sauce (think. You can have Okonomiyaki with Lots of Cabbage using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Okonomiyaki with Lots of Cabbage
- Prepare of For the batter:.
- Prepare 1/2 of Cabbage (minced).
- Prepare 130 grams of Cake flour.
- You need 150 ml of Japanese dashi stock.
- Prepare 80 grams of Tofu (silken).
- You need 1 of Egg.
- You need 1 tsp of Black pepper.
- You need of Toppings:.
- Prepare 1 of Corn kernels, tempura crumbs, pork, cheese, mochi, etc.
- Prepare 1 of Okonomiyaki sauce.
- Prepare 1 of Mayonnaise.
- You need 1 of Bonito flakes.
- Prepare 1 of Aonori.
Crisp on the outside and custardy in the center, okonomiyaki are pan-fried Japanese pancakes that traditionally feature a filling of cabbage and pork belly Here, bacon can be substituted for the pork belly, replaced with shrimp or omitted entirely You can find the more unusual toppings like hondashi. Okonomiyaki is a Japanese-style pancake made from egg, flour, cabbage and water with lots of toppings. Osaka-style cabbage pancakes (okonomiyaki). (Getty Images). To make the okonomiyaki batter, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
Okonomiyaki with Lots of Cabbage step by step
- Put the batter ingredients except cabbage into a bowl and mix. When it's mixed, add cabbage and the toppings (except meat)..
- Heat oil in a pan and pour the batter in using the ladle. Place the meat on the batter as illustrated in the photo..
- Flip it over and cook until golden brown..
- The meat side should look like this..
- Put the sauce and the toppings on it and enjoy!.
Stand in the fridge With a brush, brush the each pancake liberally with Otafuku sauce and drizzle lots of mayonnaise over the top. A savory Japanese cabbage pancake topped with a combination of okonomi sauce, Japanese mayo, crispy bacon, scallions, sesame seeds and bonito flakes. Let's enjoy cooking Osaka soul food Okonomiyaki (Japanese pizza / savory pancake)! You can create your original Okonomiyaki! Of course I will prepare some Osaka secret ingredients!