Family favourite shepherds pie.
You can make Family favourite shepherds pie using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Family favourite shepherds pie
- Prepare of olive oil.
- Prepare of large onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare of celery, finely chopped.
- It’s of medium carrots, finely chopped1 tbsp olive oil.
- You need of potatoes, boiled and mashed with a little butter and salt to taste (you could do more if you like lots of mash on top like us!).
- You need of lean beef mince.
- It’s of frozen Quorn mince.
- You need of veg stock – we use bouillon as its vegan and organic.
- It’s of beef oxo cube (optional if you're using beef mince).
- Prepare of plain flour.
- Prepare of balsamic vinegar.
- It’s of level tsp smoked paprika.
- You need of heaped tsp marmite (it makes all the difference – even if you're a marmite hater!).
- Prepare of tomato puree.
Family favourite shepherds pie step by step
- Heat the oil in a large pan (oven proof if possible to save on washing up!) Add the veg and cook for 10-15 mins until lovely and soft..
- Add the beef mince and cook for 5 minutes or so until browned. Now add the Quorn mince and cook for a few minutes..
- Sprinkle over the Oxo cube and paprika and stir into the mince. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir again. Add a few tbsps of stock and cook for a minute or two to allow the mince to absorb the flavour..
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir well into the mince mix. Gradually add half of the remaining stock and simmer for a few minutes. The liquid should start to thicken. At this point, add the marmite and the tomato puree and stir again..
- Add a little more of the stock and keep adding until the "gravy" reaches the desired consistency. You may not need all the stock..
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and take off the heat. If you have time, let the mince mixture and the mash cool a little as it's easier to build the pie when its had time to cool down..
- When ready, pour the mince mix into a large ovenproof dish. Spoon the mashed potato on the top and fluff up with a fork..
- Cook in a preheated oven at 190˚ for about 25-35 minutes. (If you have left the mixture to cool completely beforehand, reduce the heat of the oven to 180˚ and cook for 40 – 45 minutes.).
- Serve with some fresh green veg whilst piping hot. Try not to fall out over the crispy bits!.
recipe by Susy Wall @cookpad