Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu (Wonder Berry Tangy Gravy). Manathakkali keerai or Mani Thakkali keerai is a green leafy vegetable used more in Tamil Nadu for its medicinal property. Some of my friend's call this also as Melagu Thakkali. Like tomato, the plant has more tiny seeds in them.
Manathakkali vathal kulambu without onion and garlic. Vatha kuzhambu is a tamarind based gravy, prepared with dried Black nightshade berries commonly known as manathakkali vathal and without onion and garlic. Vathal kuzhambu holds an important place in Tamil families kitchens and you can see this as Kara kulambu in wedding lunches. You can have Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu (Wonder Berry Tangy Gravy) using 31 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu (Wonder Berry Tangy Gravy)
- You need of Small size Tamarind (Lemon size).
- Prepare 2 cups of Hot water.
- You need 2 tbsp of Manathakkali vathal.
- It’s 1 of Tomato chopped finely.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Red chilli powder.
- You need 2 tbsp of Vathakuzhambu powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Grated Ginger.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Jaggery for taste.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Ghee.
- You need As needed of Salt.
- You need of Vathakuzhambu Powder:.
- Prepare 1 cup of Coriander seeds.
- Prepare 20 of Red chilli.
- You need 1/2 cup of Toovar dal.
- You need 1/4 cup of Bengal gram.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Black pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of Jeera.
- You need 1 tbsp of Fenugreek seeds.
- It’s 1 tsp of Turmeric powder.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Curry leaves.
- Prepare of To Temper:.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Gingelly oi.
- You need 1 tsp of Mustard seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Fenugreek seeds.
- Prepare 2 of no Red chilies.
- Prepare 5 of Garlic chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of Channa dal.
- You need 2 tsp of Peanuts.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Urad dal.
- Prepare pinch of Hing.
- Prepare leaves of Few Curry.
Recently a reader mailed me to post basic Sundakkai vathal kulambu recipe and manathakkali vathal kuzhambu (dried turkey berry). As I had already posted Tamil brahmin style no onion no garlic manathakkali vathal kuzhambu, I thought of sharing my MIL's style sundakkai vathal kuzhambu recipe (dried turkey berry gravy). We usually make this basic kuzhambu recipe and replace sundakkai with. Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu (Wonder Berry Tangy Gravy) Wonder Berry is one of the famous item indian used for cooking.
Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu (Wonder Berry Tangy Gravy) instructions
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 20 minutes. squeeze the pulp and keep aside..
- Dry roast all the ingredients under the topic "Vatha Kuzhambu Powder". Cool down and grind to powder. Store this in airtight container and you can use upto 2 months..
- In iron kadai or you can use anyother. But iron kadai taste much good. Heat gingelly oil once hot add mustard seeds. Once mustard done crackling add fenugreek seeds, red chilli, channa dal, peanuts, urad dal, hing and curry leaves. Cook until all dals turns golden brown..
- Add manathakkali vathal and roast for couple of minutes in low flame. Now add vathakuzhambu powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, grated ginger and chopped tomato. Saute for 5 minutes in low flame..
- Now add tamarind water and salt. Cover and cook in medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes until oil separates from the gravy. Stir occasionally..
- Now add jaggery and cook for another 2 minutes. Add ghee and adjust the salt..
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with rice, papad…
As like it's name it makes wonder to our body. Important health benefits of Manathakkali is that it helps to heal. Vatha Kuzhambu is a very traditional recipe in any Tamil Brahmin Kitchen. Vatha Kuzhambu has the balanced mix of tangy, spice and sweetness. Serve the delicious Vatha Kuzhambu with hot steaming rice along with a teaspoon of sesame oil or ghee and enjoy the traditional Kuzhambu.