Spinach hand pies. The spinach and feta filling you know and love from this Greek dish is tucked inside whole-wheat pizza dough, then wrapped and baked into portable hand pies. These tasty vegetarian hand-held pies are perfect for an on-the-go meal or snack. Empanadas and hand pies filled (pastelitos) with all sorts of fillings, cookies, pastry, desserts, etc.
From such humble beginnings, these Sausage, Egg, & Spinach Hand Pies were born. So if these sausage hand pies aren't speaking to you today, you can also try one of these other options Don't have any Mighty Spinach on hand? Cook the Mighty Spinach Mix in a skillet over moderate heat with ½. You can make Spinach hand pies using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spinach hand pies
- Prepare 2 cups of baby spinach leaves ,tightly packed.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of onion , finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 & 1/2 tsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 2 of eggs, slightly beaten.
- It’s 1/4 cup +2 tbsp of ricotta cheese.
- You need 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese , grated.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of red chilli flakes.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oi.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- Prepare 1 packet/ 2 sheets of puff pastry sheets.
This is an authentic, really rich pie stuffed with spinach, onions, cheeses and herbs that are all enfolded by crispy, flaky phyllo dough. Spinach and artichoke dip in puffed pastry? This fit the simplicity bill perfectly. I plan to make the Spinach and Artichoke Hand Dip Pies next week for a Christmas snack.
Spinach hand pies instructions
- In a skillet heat oil and saute the onions and garlic until soft. Turn heat off and let cool..
- In a medium size mixing bowl add all the remaining ingredients except the puff pastry sheets and eggs..
- Add the spinach once cooled and mix all the ingredients well. Check seasoning and adjust accordingly..
- On a lightly floured surface gently roll out one pastry sheet. Using a square or round cookie cutter, cut the pastry sheet..
- Brush each round / square with egg, place a little spinach and cheese mixture and fold over. Press the edges gently to seal the pie. Make slight indentations along the edge by pressing a fork along the sealed edges. Repeat the same process with the second sheet and all the the cut squares / rounds..
- Preheat oven at 200 degree centigrade. Line a baking tray with parchment paper..
- Brush egg on top off all the pies, place them on baking sheet and bake for 18 – 20 minutes until golden brown..
- Remove to a cooling rack and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Can be eaten warm or at room temperature..
- Makes 8 – 10 pies depending on the size of of the cutter..
Frozen pie dough is your new best friend. These tasty pies can be whipped up in no time for a savoury snack or quick app when unexpected guests drop by. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is fully wilted. Set pumpkin hand pies on prepared baking sheet and brush with colored egg wash. Frozen pie dough is your new best friend.