Catalan Three kings' cake.
You can make Catalan Three kings' cake using 27 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Catalan Three kings' cake
- It’s of Sourdough.
- Prepare of fresh yeast.
- It’s of bread flour.
- It’s of whole milk.
- Prepare of Dough.
- It’s of egg.
- Prepare of bread flour.
- You need of granulated sugar.
- It’s of cointreau.
- Prepare of orange flower water.
- It’s of fresh yeast.
- You need of whole milk.
- You need of unsalted butter.
- You need of Marzipan.
- It’s of groung almond.
- You need of ground hazelnut.
- It’s of ground walnut.
- Prepare of ground coconut.
- Prepare of powdered sugar.
- Prepare of egg yolk.
- Prepare of Topping.
- It’s of pomace brandy (ex. grappa).
- It’s of sugar.
- Prepare of eggs.
- It’s of almond.
- It’s of box of dried and candied fruit.
- Prepare of vegetable oil.
Catalan Three kings' cake step by step
- Sourdough: Warm the milk a bit. Mix the yeast and the flour. Add the milk and knead. Let it rest (and raise) for 12 hours..
- Marzipan: mix all the ingedients, make a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap amd let it rest in the fridge for around 10-12 hours..
- Dough: mix the milk, the cointreau, the orange flower water. In another bowl mix the flour, the sourdough (must crumble it), the yeast, the sugar and the salt..
- Add the liquids and the butter (slightly melted) and kneed it. Cover it with a wet cloth amd let it rest u til it doubles its original volume..
- Press the mass down to take out the air and make a ball. Rub vegetal oil in your hands and make a hole in the middle of the ball and stretch it carefully until you have a crown. Flat the sides and put the crown on a oven-tray (covered in paper).
- Put the marzipan in the crown. Once done take the exterior side of the mass and cover the marzipan. Cover t once more with a wet cloth amd let it double its volume..
- Topping: Mix the brandy and the sugar and paint the crown. Beat the egg and paint the crown over the sugar. Put the candied fruts andthe almonds on it..
- Put in he oven for 25-30 minutes. Let it cool down before serving.
recipe by maa-chan @cookpad