Sausage Rolls. A sausage roll is a savoury pastry snack, popular in Commonwealth nations. They are sold at retail outlets and are also available from bakeries as a take-away food. Sausage rolls are Australia's answer to America's Pigs in a Blanket – but (I'm going to say it!!) So much better!!!
A buttery puff pastry baked to golden perfection gives a delightful flakiness and crisp. Can anyone resist a sausage roll? No, not those cold, greasy supermarket sausage rolls. a real homemade sausage roll that's warm and buttery and has a quality filling. You can make Sausage Rolls using 11 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Sausage Rolls
- You need of For the pastry:.
- You need 120 g of dairy free spread.
- Prepare 300 g of gluten free plain flour.
- Prepare 120 ml of cold water.
- It’s 1 of egg, beaten.
- Prepare of For the filling:.
- Prepare 400 g of minced pork.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves, minced.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of thyme.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sage.
- You need of salt and pepper, for seasoning.
Roll dough around the sausage, and seal with a bit of beaten egg. Place rolls onto an ungreased baking sheet, and brush the tops with the rest. Sausage Rolls made with store-bought puff pastry, ground meat, and spices. Quick, easy and an absolute crowd-pleaser.
Sausage Rolls instructions
- Weigh out the dairy free spread and then place in the freezer for 15 minutes to make sure it is really cold Cut into cubes Place the flour and dairy free spread in a food processor Pulse about 5 times so the dairy free spread is broken up but still visible Turn the food processor on so it is running on a low setting Gradually pour in the cold water Scoop into a ball, wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for an hour (it will stay fresh in the fridge for about 5 days in case you wan.
- Preheat the oven to 180 oC Roll out into a rectangle until the dough is about 5mm thick Mix together the minced pork, garlic, thyme, sage and season with salt and pepper generously Cut the pastry rectangle in half so you have two long thinner rectangles.
- Divide the pork filling in half and place in the centre of the two pastry sheets Tightly roll the pastry round the sausage meat Cut into small individual sausage rolls Score the top with a sharp knife Place on a lined baking sheet and brush the top with the beaten egg Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
You may serve them as a snack, appetizer or even breakfast! Easy, filling and perfect for parties these Sausage Rolls are savory, meaty and full of just the right. I was born and raised in Australia, but moved to the U. When I long for some Australian recipes, I bake up a batch of this sausage roll recipe and share. Sausage Rolls are a must-have for potlucks, Game Day parties, and holiday gatherings.