Fruit cake / Christmas cake.
You can have Fruit cake / Christmas cake using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fruit cake / Christmas cake
- It’s of dried fruit – a mix of raisins, sultanas, prunes, figs, cherries, cranberries.
- You need of Zest and juice of 1 orange.
- It’s of Zest and juice of 1 (unwaxed) lemon (use 2 if they are small/ medium sized).
- Prepare of strong black tea + a few more spoonfuls for ‘feeding’.
- It’s of butter.
- You need of light brown sugar.
- It’s of plain flour.
- It’s of baking powder.
- It’s of ground almonds.
- Prepare of flaked almonds.
- You need of walnut pieces.
- It’s of mixed spice.
- You need of ground cinnamon.
- It’s of ground cloves.
- You need of large eggs.
- It’s of vanilla extract.
Fruit cake / Christmas cake instructions
- Prepare the tin. Use a 20cm cake tin and double line with baking paper. Then line the outside too..
- In a large heavy pan, put the fruits, lemon and orange zest and juice, the tea, the butter and the sugar. Heat on medium until boiling. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 5 mins..
- Leave the fruit mix to cool. Quickest way is to empty the pan onto a roasting tray or you can also put in a bowl..
- Preheat oven to 150C..
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients..
- Add the fruit and eggs and vanilla. Stir until well combined..
- Pour the mix into the cake tin. Smooth the top. Cook for about 2 hours..
- When the cake is ready, use a skewer to make a few holes in the top. Spoon in about 3 tbsp of black tea (this is ‘feeding’ the cake). Leave to cool..
- Enjoy 😋.
recipe by Alessandra @cookpad