Scottish shortbread. My mother herself was Scottish, and—as with most of my favorite recipes—she passed this shortbread recipe on to me. Traditionally Scottish shortbread is baked in either a rectangular or square slab and cut into fingers, as individual round biscuits, or in one large circle and cut into triangles. Scottish Shortbread IV. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines.
Originally the butter-shortbread variety was expensive and most people only got to taste it on special occasions. These included weddings, Christmas, Hogmanay (New. Last week we featured "Melting Moments", the lightest shortbread that I had ever sampled. You can cook Scottish shortbread using 4 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Scottish shortbread
- It’s 2 cup of salted butter (soft).
- It’s 1 cup of brown caster sugar.
- Prepare 4 cup of self raising flour.
- Prepare 1 of tab vanilla essence.
Today we have my personal favourite. Add some chocolate chips or lemon zest Try making these easy, buttery shortbread biscuits for an afternoon activity with the kids. Shortbread is one of the most famous Scottish cookies. The success of a "shortie"—the Scottish nickname for shortbread—is to handle the dough with care and work it as little as possible.
Scottish shortbread instructions
- Have your oven on at 180’ or gas mark 5. Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add vanilla essence..
- Add flour and mix it well in the mixing bowl. Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick..
- Cut into rectangle shape and place onto a baking tray. Use a fork to press down lightly to make the pattern. Sprinkle with caster sugar..
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack. It’s simply delicious 😋.
Scottish Shortbread Cookies Recipe & Video. Every year when I am deciding The secret to making a good Scottish Shortbread is to have a light hand when mixing the. I know that Scottish shortbread sounds like something to serve ladies at high tea — or to quote my favorite British food writer, Nigella Lawson, "the sort of cooking someone else does." This Scottish shortbread recipe is simple and delicious. These buttery Scottish shortbread biscuits are ready to be served and enjoyed with a nice cuppa in no time at all. Scottish shortbread, a buttery biscuit or cookie, is iconic like haggis, and still a favourite in Scotland.