Upside Down Date Cake.
You can make Upside Down Date Cake using 15 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Upside Down Date Cake
- It’s of Syrup.
- It’s 20-25 of dates.
- Prepare 4.5 tbsp of Unsalted butter (room temperature).
- Prepare 120 g of light brown sugar.
- You need 1 tbsp of Honey.
- You need of Juice of half a lemon.
- Prepare of Cake base.
- It’s 215 g of Self raising flour.
- Prepare 3 of Eggs.
- It’s 2.5 tsp of Baking powder.
- You need 2 tsp of Cinnamon.
- Prepare Pinch of salt.
- You need 325 g of Caster sugar.
- Prepare 2/3 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- You need 160 ml of Whole milk.
Upside Down Date Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Make the syrup by bringing together butter, light brown sugar, honey and lemon juice to a simmer on the hob. Once simmering, reduce the heat and leave for a minute..
- Add the syrup to the cake tin. Aim to use a tin with an attached base..
- Cut the dates in half lengthways and remove the stone..
- Place the dates skin side touching the syrup in concentric circles. Keep them tightly packed side by side..
- Start making the cake mixture by adding together all the dry ingredients apart from the caster sugar in a mixing bowl..
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Add the vanilla extract..
- Add three quarters of the milk to the eggs and sugar mixture. Mix well..
- Add the dry ingredients mixture in three batches to the eggs and sugar mixture. Mix well after each addition. Aim for a mixture which slowly falls off the spoon. If the mixture is too thick, add the remaining milk..
- Add cake mixture on top of the dates and syrup..
- Bake for 60 – 70 mins in the preheated oven (175 degrees Celsius). A skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean..
- Leave to cool for 2 – 3 mins then turn upside down on a wire rack then serve on a plate..
recipe by Ammar @cookpad