Get Ahead Christmas Gravy. A delicious recipe for Christmas Day Gravy, made in advance using the leftover chicken carcass from a Sunday roast! I'm very excited to be able to bring you a brand new series of recipes in the run up to. I'm very excited to be able to bring you a brand new series of recipes in the run up to Christmas.
If it's important that the gravy is gluten-free make sure you check the label on the stock – many stock cubes and pots are gluten-free, but not all. Keep calm and get your meal prep on. This batch of make-ahead Christmas recipes takes the chaos out of having company over. You can cook Get Ahead Christmas Gravy using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Get Ahead Christmas Gravy
- Prepare 1/2 bunch of celery chopped.
- It’s 5 of carrots chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of large onion chopped in wedges.
- It’s 4 of bay leaves.
- It’s Handful of parsley.
- It’s 5 springs of Rosemary.
- It’s 20 of approximately chicken wings.
- It’s 300 ml of Madeira or white wine.
- You need 4 of star anise.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of plain flour.
- It’s 1-1 1/2 litres of boiling water.
- You need 2 of stock cubes (chicken).
- You need 2 of heaped tbsp of cranberry sauce.
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
Biscuits and gravy are usually prepared separately but served together. I created a way to bake them all at once in this scrumptious. Try this stress busting amazing get ahead gravy – this is rich and meaty and can be frozen ahead. Bit of effort required but better now than on Christmas Day!
Get Ahead Christmas Gravy step by step
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees. Chop your veggies and add to a heavy bottomed casserole pan..
- Take the onion add it to the pan too! Throw in the herbs and star anise..
- Push in the chicken wings around the veggies, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper and place in the oven..
- After half an hour give the wings a stir and put back in the oven for 40 minutes..
- Lift out of the oven and place the casserole pan on a medium hob browning and mashing the meat and juices together..
- Pour in the white wine or Madeira, let it bubble away..
- Once it has simmered down add the plain flour coating all the veggies and meat..
- Pour in the water so it’s well covering the mixture add 2 stock cubes..
- Add the cranberry and let it bubble away for 30 or so minutes. Throw in the salt and pepper too!.
- Take a large pan and sieve, ladle the mixture in to it push / mush the liquid and juices.
- Until there is no juice left in the mix. Bring the pan to the boil check the seasoning. Thats it done, ladle into containers and freeze!.
Take gravy off the to-do list this Christmas Day with this time saving recipe. Flavoured with chicken wings, bacon, celery, carrots and onion, this gravy can be made up to two weeks in advance and frozen, ready to re-heat on the big day. Make the gravy the day before, after the turkey has been partially roasted and refrigerated. You can roast the turkey on Christmas Eve without spoiling the pleasure of serving it hot on Christmas day. The turkey is roasted up to within one hour of completion, the stuffing is removed and refrigerated.