Scottish Shortbread. My mother herself was Scottish, and—as with most of my favorite recipes—she passed this shortbread recipe on to me. Traditionally Scottish shortbread is baked in either a rectangular or square slab and cut into fingers, as individual round biscuits, or in one large circle and cut into triangles. Reviews for: Photos of Scottish Shortbread IV.
Originally the butter-shortbread variety was expensive and most people only got to taste it on special occasions. These included weddings, Christmas, Hogmanay (New. Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit usually made from one part white sugar, two parts butter, and three parts plain wheat flour. You can have Scottish Shortbread using 4 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Scottish Shortbread
- You need 1 lb of butter softened.
- You need 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 4-4 1/2 cups of flour (approximately).
- It’s Pinch of salt.
Other ingredients like ground rice or cornflour are sometimes added. Shortbread is one of the most famous Scottish cookies. The success of a "shortie"—the Scottish nickname for shortbread—is to handle the dough with care and work it as little as possible. Last week we featured "Melting Moments", the lightest shortbread that I had ever sampled.
Scottish Shortbread instructions
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Add about 4 cups of flour to butter mixture a 1/2 cup or so at a time mixing thoroughly between additions until dough forms a ball adding more flour as needed.
- Roll out into a rectangle or press evenly into a 9 by 12 baking pan (I use a glass baking pan).
- About 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, score with a knife into approximate 1 1/2 x 3 inch pieces and dock with a fork.
- Bake in a 325 Degree oven for 60 to 75 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and cut along score marks while still warm, remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Yield 24 biscuits.
Today we have my personal favourite. This Scottish shortbread recipe is simple and delicious. These buttery Scottish shortbread biscuits are ready to be served and enjoyed with a nice cuppa in no time at all. Scottish Shortbread Cookies Recipe & Video. Every year when I am deciding The secret to making a good Scottish Shortbread is to have a light hand when mixing the.