Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add lemon juice and extract, and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Add the orange blossom water and rose water.
The syrup will thicken further as it cools. Drizzle the cake with the syrup. The syrup will soak in as the cake cools off. You can cook Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura
- It’s 1 kg of semolina.
- Prepare 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 1 cup of milk.
- You need 1 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of mastic gum, crushed in ½ teaspoon sugar.
- Prepare 4 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of orange blossom water.
- It’s 3 teaspoons of rose water.
- You need 1 teaspoon of tahini, sesame paste.
- It’s of – For the sugar syrup:.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cups of sugar.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of rose water.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water.
- You need 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- It’s of – For garnishing:.
- It’s 25 of almonds, cut in halves.
A sticky and sweet dessert from Lebanon, these decadent cakes made of coarse semolina are so simple to make that you can easily end up with more than enough to tide you through waves after waves of Eid visitors. By soaking the cakes in sugar syrup then topping them off with almonds or shaved coconut, you'll be sure to get cakes that are not only rich but moist and full of texture as well! Namoura (نمورة), is a delicious Lebanese cake/dessert that is super easy to make and widely known across the Middle East. It is topped with almonds, baked and then soaked with an aromatic sugar.
Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura instructions
- To prepare the sugar syrup, put the sugar and water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Leave to boil then add the lemon juice and keep on medium heat for 10 min until the syrup thickens. Add the orange blossom water and rose water. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl..
- For the batter, mix all the ingredients together, except the tahini..
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 30 cm diameter baking tray with the tahini. Spread evenly the batter in the tray and leave to rest at room temperature for 1½ hr..
- Preheat the oven to medium heat. Put the tray in the oven on the middle rack and bake for around 30 min..
- Remove from the oven and cut the cake into lozenges while still in the pan. Return the tray to the oven on the top rack until the cake's surface turns golden brown..
- Turn off the oven. Pour the sugar syrup over the cake while it is still hot and place it back in the oven for a while until the syrup is absorbed..
- Take out the cake and place an almond in the middle of each lozenge piece. Serve at room temperature..
This Namoura dessert is the classic recipe of the original Lebanese Namoura. Many other Middle Eastern cultures called it by other names. Sugar syrup is poured over it while the cake is still in the baking tray. Soak it well and savor those super sweet lozenges! An egg free semolina cake is baked and while still hot it is doused with cool rose water (or vanilla) flavored sugar syrup.