Barley and Mushroom Dish – Healthy & Vegan!.
You can make Barley and Mushroom Dish – Healthy & Vegan! using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Barley and Mushroom Dish – Healthy & Vegan!
- You need of dried Shitake mushrooms.
- You need of dried mushrooms of your choice (Porcini, Chanterelle, Cremini etc).
- It’s of boiling water.
- It’s of barley (I use 1 cup long-grain and 1 cup round/pearled).
- It’s of vegetable oil (olive/canola).
- You need of large onions, diced.
- It’s of garlic, minced.
- You need of rub (date honey) – you can use honey or omit this, but I find rub works best.
- Prepare of fresh or canned button mushrooms, sliced.
- Prepare of salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare of boiling water.
Barley and Mushroom Dish – Healthy & Vegan! step by step
- In medium bowl, soak dried mushrooms in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water (this water will be used for cooking). In separate bowl place barley, rinse and leave to soak (this water is not part of the recipe and will be discarded)..
- Heat large, deep pan on medium heat, add oil, onions and garlic and fry till golden. Add rub for extra caramelization and fry for one more minute..
- Coarsely chop soaked dried mushrooms, reserve liquids. Add all (soaked and fresh) mushrooms to pan and saute till tender and slightly browned. Boil additional 1 1/2 cups of water to be used shortly..
- Drain barley (discard water) and add to pan. Saute 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Add 3 cups boiling water to pan (from kettle and from mushrooms). Stir and bring to a boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to very low and leave to cook for 25-30 minutes, until cooked but still chewy..
- Turn off heat and leave covered for another 5 minutes. Fluff up barley and serve warm. Enjoy!.
recipe by EsteeA @cookpad