Glazed Ham Joint.
You can cook Glazed Ham Joint using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Glazed Ham Joint
- Prepare 1 of gammon joint, around 150-175g per person.
- Prepare 1 of bayleaf.
- It’s a few of cloves.
- Prepare 1 of carrot, peeled.
- It’s 1 of onion, peeled.
- It’s 4 tbsp of marmalade.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of muscovado sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
Glazed Ham Joint step by step
- Weigh your ham and calculate the cooking time; 20 minutes for each 450g, plus 20 minutes. Then work out the boiling/baking time by subtracting 30 minutes from the total. If you buy your ham from a butcher, ask if the ham should be soaked before cooking, if it should, put the ham in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, then drain. Rinse out the pan and fill again with fresh cold water. If the ham doesn't need soaking first, and usually joints bought in the supermarket don't now, place it in the pan with the bayleaf, cloves, carrot and onion. Cover and bring to the boil..
- Skim off any white froth that rises to the surface then cover again and simmer for the required cooking time, minus 30 minutes..
- When the ham has been simmering for the required cooking time remove from the stock. Save this for soup. Place the ham on a plate. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Mix together the marmalade, sugar and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. You can use light brown sugar or demerara sugar if you don't have muscovado..
- Using scissors or a sharp knife, peel off the outer skin of the ham, but don't remove any of the layer of fat that is underneath, you need this for the glaze to stick to..
- Place the ham in a roasting tin. I line this with foil to make cleaning easier. Tip the marmalade and sugar mixture over the ham and make sure all the surface is covered with the glaze. Bake in the hot oven for 30 minutes until the glaze is golden and slightly charred in places..
- Allow the ham to stand for 20 minutes, then carve and serve..
recipe by Joanne @cookpad