Vickys Christmas Maple Cola Gammon Joint, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can cook Vickys Christmas Maple Cola Gammon Joint, GF DF EF SF NF using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vickys Christmas Maple Cola Gammon Joint, GF DF EF SF NF
- You need 2 kg of boneless, unsmoked gammon (ham) joint (4.4 lbs).
- Prepare 2 litres of cheap 'fat' cola (8 cups plus 1/3).
- Prepare 1 of onion, peeled and quartered.
- You need 1 of carrot, thickly sliced.
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of peppercorns.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s of For the Glaze.
- You need 150 ml of maple syrup (2/3 cup).
- It’s 2 tbsp of wholegrain mustard.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of ground cloves.
Vickys Christmas Maple Cola Gammon Joint, GF DF EF SF NF step by step
- Put the gammon in a large pan with the onion, sliced carrot, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and bay leaf. If your gammon is from the supermarket and wrapped in a plastic sleeve to help keep its shape, leave it on. It's heat resistant and won't harm you.
- Pour the cola in and bring to the boil.
- Turn down to low, cover but vent and let gently simmer for 2.5 hours, adding boiling water if the liquid level drops below the top of the gammon joint.
- Preheat the oven to gas 5 / 190C /375F and line a roasting tin with foil.
- Lift the gammon out of the pan and let settle on a plate while you discard the rest of the pan contents. You can take the plastic off at this point.
- Put the gammon into the roasting tin, then trim off some of the fat to leave an even layer. Score in a criss-cross / diamond pattern.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together and pour half over the gammon.
- Roast for 15 minutes then pour the remaining glaze over and roast another 15 minutes.
- Baste and roast a final 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let rest in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Baste the gammon again with the tray juices before carving.
recipe by Vicky@Jacks Free-From Cookbook @cookpad