Lucky New Year's Black Eyed Pea Stew.
You can make Lucky New Year's Black Eyed Pea Stew using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Lucky New Year's Black Eyed Pea Stew
- Prepare 2 cans of Black Eyed Peas.
- It’s 1/2 bunch of Collard greens or Kale.
- Prepare 5 Slices of Thick-Cut Bacon 🥓.
- You need 1 Cup of Smoked Carver Ham.
- You need 1 Cup of Smoked Sausage Link (like Kielbasa).
- Prepare 1 of Celery Stalk, chopped.
- Prepare 6-8 Cups of Chicken Stock.
- You need 1-2 Cups of Mushroom Broth(optional).
- It’s 1/2 of Large Yellow Onion 🧅.
- You need 4 Cloves of Garlic 🧄.
- You need of Pickled Jalapenos to taste.
- It’s 1 tsp. of Tomato Paste.
- You need 1-2 tsp. of Creole Seasoning.
- Prepare 1-2 tsp. of Fresh Thyme.
- It’s 1 of Bay Leaf.
Lucky New Year's Black Eyed Pea Stew step by step
- Prep veggies and meat by dicing like photo below..
- Dice bacon up as well and pan fry until just barely cooked. Then add the other two cooked meats for about 3 mins. To combine and heat through, save grease..
- Put meat into a bowl and save grease in pan. Add chopped celery, onion and garlic plus herbs. Add a pinch of salt to help the veggies sweat. Heat level should be med-low. (Stir about every 1-2 mins.).
- After about 10 mins. When veggies are translucent and aromatic, add your chicken stock and mushroom broth. (If you can't find mushroom broth just use all chicken stock, it will still be tasty.) If using all chicken stock, add 8 cups. If using mushroom broth, add 6 cups chicken stock, 2 cups mushroom broth..
- Drain beans and add to pot. Now add your meat, Creole seasoning and Tomato Paste. Taste for salt, you might not need any because the meats are salty. Let come to boil, then reduce to med-low heat and leave lid off. Let simmer for atleast 40 mins. Chop your Collard greens or Kale and add. (I used Kale.) Cook for another 15 mins..
- Remove the Bay Leaf and serve in a bowl. Top with jalapenos and diced tomatoes, if desired..
recipe by Brees knees Recipes @cookpad