Whole Wheat Dinner Roll. They have structure, body, texture, and staying power- and hold their own against any white flour rolls. Whole wheat rolls don't have to be dense and built-like-a-brick. It does my heart good to see our gang – right down to my great-grandchildren – reach eagerly for one of my homemade rolls.
The dough should feel elastic and slightly tacky to the touch. These aren't just soft whole wheat dinner rolls. They are the softest, most tender, of dinner rolls. You can cook Whole Wheat Dinner Roll using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Whole Wheat Dinner Roll
- It’s 1 cup of warm milk.
- You need 2.25 tsp of active dry yeast.
- Prepare 4 tbs of sugar.
- You need 2-2.5 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
- You need 1 of large egg, room temperaturw.
- Prepare 0.5 tsp of salt.
- You need 6 tbs of unsalted butter, room temperature.
Easy to make whole wheat dinner rolls will be a hit at your next holiday party! Only one rise required so these freshly baked rolls will be a quick and simple homemade bread recipe. There is nothing more irresistible than the smell of freshly baked rolls, don't you agree? I generally use some whole grain spelt with the wheat or a combination of regular whole wheat which is red wheat flour, and white whole wheat which is flour of winter white wheat.
Whole Wheat Dinner Roll step by step
- Combine milk, yeast and 1 tablespoon sugat in a small bowl, let stand until foamy, about 5 – 10 minutes..
- With a stand mixer bowl, pour the yeast mixture. Add whole wheat flour,remaining sugar, egg, salt and butter..
- Using the dough hook, gradually add all purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Stop adding the flour when the dough looks soft and smooth. The dough should feel elastic and slightly tacky to the touch..
- Lightly oil a large bowl or coat with nonstick spray; place dough in bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let stand in a warm spot until dough has doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour..
- Gently deflate dough by punching down. Cut into 14 pieces and form into a ball..
- Coat a 10 in round pan with nonstick spray. Place dough balls into the prepared baking dish. Cover with a clean dishtowel and let stand in a warm spot until dough has doubled in size, about 45-60 minutes..
- Preheat oven to 375° F..
- Lightly brush the tops with milk then place into oven and bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes..
A nutritional addition to any meal – whole wheat dinner rolls are easy to make and very tasty! How long do Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls stay fresh? These whole wheat rolls are fluffy, stay soft for days, and make excellent sandwiches! A must-have for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Check out the reviews if you need convincing!