Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern). After baking hundreds of Southern buttermilk biscuit recipes, our Test Kitchen landed on this winning recipe for Our Favorite Buttermilk Biscuits. This no-fail biscuit recipe will make you look like a pro, even if this is your first attempt at biscuit-making. The instructions below are precise for a reason and should be followed as written.
If you gathered any number of Southern cooks together, none of them would make their biscuits exactly the same way. Each cook would have their own favorite techniques and tricks to. This recipe came from my great-great-grandmother, and was handed down to all the women in my family, and we are all Southern. You can have Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern) using 6 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern)
- Prepare 3 1/2 cup of WHITELILY self rising flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of white sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of butter flavor shortening.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of cold buttermilk.
- It’s 1/2 cup of WHITELILY self rising flour for rolling and dusting.
- You need 1/2 stick of melted butter for brushing.
I am the first one to commit the sin of using a food processor (lol) but I find it works very well. I would put these biscuits up against anyone's – they are perfect in every single way. Folding creates multiple layers of dough and fat, giving rise to a tender, puffy biscuit. Southern Buttermilk Biscuits – Flaky, buttery and fluffy biscuits made with few ingredients and minimal prep time.
Buttermilk Biscuits (Southern) instructions
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Using a bowl cut the shortening into the flour and sugar.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk.
- Stir the flour and buttermilk together just until combined (use a spatula this mix is very sticky) scraping sides of bowl as you go.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, dusting more flour on top and begin to spread out dough. Fold four times.
- Roll out dough to one and a 1/4 inch thickness and use a three inch biscuit cutter.
- Use small amount of shortening to grease your pan.
- Arrange biscuits slightly apart from each other (I used the leftover dough to make a special biscuit).
- Bake 10 minutes and take out of oven to brush with melted butter then bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes till golden brown.
- Brush with additional butter right after they come out of the oven they are soooooooo good ENJOY 😍.
You'll surely want these for breakfast, lunch, dinner and afternoon snacks. It almost goes perfectly with anything; Fried chicken, stew, soups, honey and butter to eggs and bacon. In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Southern Buttermilk Biscuits are basically a quick bread made from a few simple ingredients; flour, leavener, fat and some kind of dairy like milk (or in this case buttermilk).