You can cook Handesh using 5 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Handesh
- You need 1 cup of goor (date molasses).
- You need 2 cups of plain flour.
- You need 1 1/4 cups of rice flour.
- Prepare of Cooking oil as required.
- You need 500 ml of lukewarm water.
- In a mixing bowl add 300 ml of lukewarm water & add 1 cup of goor (date molasses) and mix together..
- Add 2 cups of plain flour & 1¼ cups of rice flour. Thoroughly mix together to form a batter slowly adding the remaining 200 ml of lukewarm water ensuring there are no lumps in the batter. It should be of a consistency similar to when making a cake, neither too runny nor too thick..
- Cover and leave to rest for 4-5 hours..
- You have to deep fry and it's best to use a deep wok or pan that is made of a thicker cast iron or similar. Heat the deep wok/pan on a medium to high flame and add enough oil for deep frying. Test to ensure the oil has heated sufficiently by pouring a tablespoon of the handesh batter..
- Quickly whisk the mixture again. If you feel that it has thickened you can add a small amount of water to get it back to it's original consistency..
- Fill a ¼ cup (65ml) with the handesh batter and carefully pour into the oil. Be patient at this stage, and as the batter rises carefully direct some oil over the top of the handesh using a large spoon which will help it to puff up. When you can see it has puffed up, slowly and carefully flip it over. The colour should be of a deep golden brown. Adjust the heat of the flame accordingly and you may find that the first few handesh's may not be quite right but be patient and it will be fine..
- It's best to fry one at a time as it's the easiest method but you can do more than one if you feel you have got the right technique that works for you. Carefully take out the handesh one at a time and let the excess oil drain off. Repeat the process until they're all fried..
recipe by Ali's home cooking @cookpad