Rachel Khoo's croque madame muffins.
You can make Rachel Khoo's croque madame muffins using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Rachel Khoo's croque madame muffins
- It’s 2 of pieces of large toast bread per muffin.
- You need 1 of egg per muffin.
- It’s 1 of Some melted butter or margarine.
- You need 1 tbsp of butter or margarine.
- It’s 1 tbsp of regular flour.
- It’s 2 of dl milk.
- It’s 1 of A dash of mustard (whichever kind you want).
- Prepare 1 of A sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and peppar.
- It’s 1 of Roughly 200g of grated cheese, preferably a strongish one.
- You need 1 of Sliced ham, turkey or salami (the kind you put on a sandwich).
Rachel Khoo's croque madame muffins instructions
- Slice your protein and put it aside..
- Take your toast and cut off the crusts, as close to them as you can. I use regular souffléforms to make these, and they require 2-3 slices of bread/muffin, depending on how big the slices of bread are..
- Use a rolling pin to flatten your pieces of bread until they are quite thin. Then brush them with the melted butter. This is so they turn crisp and not soggy in the oven..
- Grease your soufflé forms. (You can also use a muffin tin). Press your flattened, buttered pieces of bread into them. The edges are supposed to be sticking up..
- Slice your protein, and add a bit to every muffin..
- Now melt the butter for the sauce! Then add the flour and mix into a paste. Add the milk and remove from the heat once it thickens. Add almost all the cheese, but save some so you can sprinkle it over the muffins. Season with salt, peppar, nutmeg and a dash of mustard..
- Crack an egg into every muffin. There will most likely be too much eggwhite to fit into one egg, so pour some of this out before pouring the egg into the muffin..
- Spoon approximately 1tbsp of sauce into every muffin carefully. Sprinkle some cheese over each muffin..
- Bake in the oven at 180°F C (350F) for 12 minutes if you want runny eggs or 17-20 minutes if you want your eggs firm..
- If they don't come out of the soufflé forms or muffin tin without ease, you can use a knife and carefully loosen them where they appear to be stuck..
recipe by Emma @cookpad