Semolina Cake (Basbousa). Basbousa is an Egyptian semolina cake drenched in syrup. Basbousa Aka Harissa (Coconut Yogurt Semolina Cake). Mix the semolina, coconut, sugar, baking soda, and the butter in a large bowl.
It's topped with a delicious rosewater and lemon syrup. This traditional Middle Eastern dessert comes together in just one Basbousa (Semolina Cake). Recipe adapted from Vian Alnidawi and Sara Nassr, Comal Heritage. You can cook Semolina Cake (Basbousa) using 15 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Semolina Cake (Basbousa)
- You need 2 cups of Fine Semolina or Rawa.
- You need 1 cup of Yoghurt.
- It’s 1 cup of Sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of melted unsalted Butter.
- You need 2 of Eggs.
- It’s 1/3rd of cup Milk.
- It’s 1/4 th of cup dessicated Coconut.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Baking powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Almond essence/Vanilla essence.
- It’s As needed of crushed assorted nuts and coconut flakes to garnish.
- Prepare of For the Sugar Syrup.
- It’s 1 cup of Sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of Water.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Lemon juice.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Orange blossom water/rose water.
This cake is Soft and moist with a touch of lemon syrup. Subscribe to my YouTube Channel Here: ⬇ ⬇ ⬇. Basbousa, an Egyptian semolina cake with yogurt is one of the best Egyptian desserts that comes out fairly quick. Today I am sharing the BEST basbousa recipe that everyone was raving about.
Semolina Cake (Basbousa) instructions
- In a mixing bowl add sugar and yoghurt.Mix well..
- Now add semolina, baking powder and milk.Mix well..
- Add melted butter and almond or vanilla essence. Give it a mix..
- Add 2 eggs and mix well with a spatula..
- At last add dessicated coconut and mix. The batter should be a little thick in consistency..
- Grease a 9 inch round baking dish with little oil..
- Pour the batter into the pan and tap 2- 3 times to remove any bubbles..
- Pre heat oven at 200 degree C for 10 minutes..
- Bake basbousa at 200 degrees for 1st 10 minutes..
- Then reduce the temperature to 180 degree and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown..
- When cake is baking, add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water to a pan and heat..
- Add lemon juice, orange blossom water and mix..
- Cook for 10 minutes to make a thin sugar syrup..
- When the cake becomes golden, take out from the oven and pour the warm prepared sugar syrup over the hot cake..
- Let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes..
- Remove from cake tin and garnish with coconut flakes and crushed nuts..
- Enjoy with family and friends as dessert..
- Very soft and moist texture. Bon appetit..
Shamali cake or semolina cake is one of the most popular desserts in Cyprus. It's one of the variations basbousa – traditional Middle East sweet cake. Basbousa are small cakes that are covered with syrup. The are perfect with coffee or tea. How to Make Basbousa – Semolina Cakes With Syrup.