Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes. Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes These cupcakes are inspired by one of my favourite treats: Nanaimo Bars! Feel free to use your own chocolate cake recipe if you want. I just used a cake mix for simplicity. carly f.
This Nanaimo Bar Cake takes the classic Canadian treat and transforms it into a delicious layer cake! Chocolate cake layers with a vanilla custard frosting and chocolate coconut crumble. There's a good chance you are probably reading this right now and thinking – what the heck is a Nanaimo bar?! You can cook Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes
- You need 1 box of Chocolate cake mix with ingredients needed to prepare.
- You need 3/4 cup of Sweetened shredded coconut (or add a little more or less according to your preference).
- It’s of Filling.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Butter.
- Prepare 4 cup of Icing sugar.
- You need 6 tbsp of Milk.
- You need 4 tbsp of Vanilla pudding mix or custard powder.
- You need 1 tsp of Vanilla (optional).
- Prepare of Topping.
- You need 3/4 cup of Semi-sweet chocolate chips or as needed.
- You need 1 tsp of Butter.
Rest assured, you are not alone. A Nanaimo Bar is a Canadian specialty, in case you're wondering what in the world I'm talking about. It is a three layered dessert bar that has a bottom, brownie like base with almonds and coconut, a middle vanilla custard layer, and a top layer of chocolate. The Nanaimo-bar-y-ness of the icing comes from using custard powder.
Nanaimo Bar Cupcakes instructions
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding shredded coconut to batter..
- Pour batter into prepared cupcake pans. Bake as directed on the cake mix package..
- Cool cupcakes on wire rack..
- In a large bowl, beat butter until smooth. Stir in custard powder and milk..
- Beat in icing sugar and vanilla until smooth..
- Once cupcakes are COMPLETELY cooled, fill with filling by inserting a piping bag containing the filling and fitted with a small round tip into the centre of cupcake and squeezing bag while slowly pulling out. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes..
- Cover filled cupcakes and store in a cold place to allow the filling to firm up. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and butter over a double boiler or in the microwave..
- Dip tops of cooled cupcakes into melted chocolate so the tops are covered. Cover and allow chocolate to set. ENJOY!!!.
The custard is what makes a Nanaimo bar a Nanaimo bar. The filling in a Nanaimo Bar uses Bird's Custard Powder, and that is used here in the icing. I love custard powder and am happy for any opportunity to use it. Please practice hand-washing and social distancing, and check out our resources for adapting to these times. The Nanaimo Bar Whoopie Pies are the exact same recipe as the cupcakes, they are simply baked in a Whoopie Pie pan instead of a cupcake pan.