Baked bacon and onion roly poly.
You can cook Baked bacon and onion roly poly using 8 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Baked bacon and onion roly poly
- Prepare 8 oz of bacon or ham, chopped.
- It’s 1 of red or white onion, chopped.
- It’s 1/4 pints of gravy.
- You need 8 oz of self raising flour.
- It’s 1 pinch of each, salt & pepper.
- It’s 4 oz of suet, vegetable or beef.
- You need 1/4 pints of cold water.
- It’s 4 oz of mushrooms, sliced (optional).
Baked bacon and onion roly poly step by step
- Fry bacon/ham in a little oil, do not brown, remove from pan.
- Add onion to pan, fry gently until transparent, if using mushrooms add at this stage, return bacon to pan..
- Add sufficient gravy to moisten, you don't want it too wet, combine and allow to cool..
- Heat oven to 200C.
- Place flour, suet and salt & pepper in a bowl, add enough water to make a firm dough..
- On a floured surface roll into a rectangle approximately 3/8 -1/4 inch thick.
- Spread cooled bacon mixture evenly over pastry leaving a half inch gap all round edge..
- Moisten edges with water, from wide side roll like a swiss roll, ensure edges are sealed, place on a greased baking sheet with the seam at the bottom..
- Cook in centre of oven for 45- 60minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve sliced with potatoes and vegetables of choice and lots of gravy.
- You can spread a thin coat of your favourite barbecue sauce on the pastry before adding the bacon mixture for added flavour..
- You can use this pastry (without the pepper) to make a jam or syrup roly poly, roll out pastry as above, spread with jam, raspberry for preference, or syrup, roll and bake as above, serve with lashings of custard..
recipe by Panda.s @cookpad