Zwiebelkuchen — Savory Onion Cake for Autumn.
You can have Zwiebelkuchen — Savory Onion Cake for Autumn using 13 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Zwiebelkuchen — Savory Onion Cake for Autumn
- Prepare of Dough.
- Prepare 125 grams of ◎All-purpose flour.
- It’s 3 grams of ◎Dry yeast.
- It’s 75 ml of ◎Lukewarm water.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of ◎Oil.
- Prepare 1/3 tsp of ◎Salt.
- It’s of Filling.
- It’s 250 grams of Onion.
- You need 130 grams of Bacon (or ham).
- You need 85 grams of Cheese.
- You need 65 grams of ◆Heavy cream.
- It’s 1 of ◆Egg yolk.
- It’s 1 pinch of Pepper (and salt if adding ham).
Zwiebelkuchen — Savory Onion Cake for Autumn instructions
- Combine the ◎ ingredients for the dough..
- Note: German onions are much smaller than Japanese onions, so adjust by using half an onion..
- Halve the onion horizontally and slice into rings. Saute the onions with oil..
- Cube the bacon (or ham). If using bacon, do not fry..
- Roll out the dough so that the area is slightly larger than the pan..
- If baking in a pan, grease with butter, sprinkle a little flour, and knock off the excess or wipe with a paper towel..
- Once the onions have cooled, scatter on top of the rolled dough..
- Combine the bacon and cheese, then scatter on top of the onions. Swirl in the combined mixture of heavy cream and egg yolk on top..
- Let rise at 50°C for 15-20 minutes (crack open your oven door, as the temperature is too high for proofing)..
- If you have a proofing setting on your oven, do so at 40°C (I go by the method shown above, since the lowest heat setting on my oven is 50°C)..
- The dough looks like this after 15 minutes..
- Bake at 200°C for 30 minutes, and it's done..
- Cut and serve the Zwiebelkuchen..
- I served with a pink tinted glass of Federweisser. It's also good served with a chilled white wine..
- This is baked in a 18 cm cake pan. I increased the heavy cream to 100 ml, but you could replace it with milk or soy milk..
- I've also tripled the recipe and baked it on a baking tray. I also used the entire egg instead of just the yolk..
recipe by cookpad.japan @cookpad