ROLLED FLUFFY RAINBOW CAKE with LEMON BUTTER FROSTING. Tangy, sweet, and creamy lemon buttercream frosting tastes delicious on everything! So easy to make and fun to decorate! I'm trying to build out the frosting section on Sally's Baking Addiction with some of my basic frosting faves and a few fun ones like creamy strawberry and rainbow chip frosting.
Cover the cake with casual swoops of fluffy lemon buttercream for the perfect teatime or anytime treat. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting: Combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, lemon zest and a pinch of salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat in milk, and increase speed and continue to beat until light and fluffy. You can cook ROLLED FLUFFY RAINBOW CAKE with LEMON BUTTER FROSTING using 13 ingredients and 24 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of ROLLED FLUFFY RAINBOW CAKE with LEMON BUTTER FROSTING
- You need 4 of large egg whites.
- Prepare 4 of large egg yolks.
- You need 1/4 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/2 cup of flour +1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch (shifted twice).
- It’s 1 tablespoon of lemon zest mixed with lemon juice.
- Prepare 4 of different food coloring.
- You need 1/4 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence.
- You need 2 tablespoon of milk.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- You need 100 g of unsalted butter.
- You need 200-250 gram of icing sugar.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
To assemble: With long serrated knife, split each cake layer in half horizontally. This gorgeous Rainbow Cake features moist yellow cake, striped rainbow frosting inside, and a light and fluffy cloud-like meringue on the outside! Lemon layer cake with tart lemon buttercream frosting on top. This is the cake recipe you want to make for serving with afternoon tea on Easter day!
ROLLED FLUFFY RAINBOW CAKE with LEMON BUTTER FROSTING instructions
- Mix the vegetable oil, milk and egg yolks in a bowl.
- Add the 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence and 1/4 cup of sugar and mix.
- Then fold in the shifted flour and corn starch then using a spatula and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, pour in the egg whites and set your mixer on medium then high speed and whisk until it reaches stiff peak.
- Then start adding the other 1/4 cup of sugar little by little while still whisking on high speed.
- Take quarter of the egg white mix and use a spatula to fold it into the egg yolk mix.
- Fold it in gently in other not to deflate the egg white mix.
- Then fold in the rest of the egg white mix in gently.
- Separate the mixture into different bowls and add individual colors and fold in the colors properly.
- Pour each colors in different piping bags.
- Grease a flat baking pan with vegetable shortening and line with baking paper.
- Starting adding each cake mix color in diagonal lines starting from the corner edge of the pan.
- Drop pan gently to remove air bubbles and smoothen the mix.
- Then preheat your oven at 220 degrees and bake at 150degrees for 45-50mins.
- When ready, gently raise the cake from the pan using the lined baking paper and flip on a cooling rack. Parchment paper side up.
- Gently peel off the parchment paper.
- Use a bread knife to slice off the narrow hard 4 edges.
- Then allow to cool a bit.
- Flip cake on a new clean kitchen towel and start rolling gently from one edge.
- Then leave in the towel in that rolled position for 20mins.
- Prepare your lemon butter cream by mixing the butter, lemon, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence and icing sugar and whisk until lite and fluffy.
- Gently unroll the cake into a cling film and spread the lemon butter cream on one flat side of the cake.
- Then gently roll by as previously done but this time in the cling film..
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight..
Make the buttercream by beating the butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a mixer until light and fluffy. Start on low speed and then. Use this versatile frosting on our Cupcakes Americana, Basic Vanilla Cake or any cake of your choosing. This fresh lemon buttercream frosting recipe uses real lemons and it makes the bright, sunny flavors pop on everything from cookies, cupcakes, cakes, and even fancy petite fours! How to Make Lemon Buttercream Filling.