Biscuits and gravy casserole. Biscuits, eggs, gravy, sausage, and Cheddar cheese are baked together using this biscuits and gravy casserole recipe for the ultimate comfort food. Biscuits and Gravy Casserole has all the flavor of the southern classic-Biscuits and Gravy, in casserole form and it couldn't be easier to make. It is great to make for a family brunch and leftovers reheat well.
NOTE: Fans LOVE the gravy so much, that many have reported making a double batch of gravy for this recipe so they can have extra. If you are a gravy fan, perhaps that is a good idea for you too! Open cans of biscuits and cut into quarters. You can have Biscuits and gravy casserole using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Biscuits and gravy casserole
- You need of Sausage Gravy.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Butter.
- It’s 1 of whole Shallot, Finely Minced.
- It’s 1 pound of Ground Breakfast Sausage.
- It’s 2/3 cup of All-Purpose Flour.
- You need 1 cup of Chicken Stock.
- You need 2 cups of Milk (Preferably Whole).
- Prepare to taste of Salt and Pepper.
- It’s of Biscuits.
- Prepare 1 3/4 cup of All-Purpose Flour.
- You need 1 tablespoon of + 2 teaspoons Baking Powder.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Salt.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Butter, Cut into tablespoon sized pieces.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of Shortening, Cut into tablespoon sized pieces.
- It’s 3/4 cup of Milk plus an additional 1-2 tablespoons if needed.
When it comes to breakfast casseroles, the savoriest and most delicious of them all just might be this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole. Made with a homemade sausage gravy, eggs, just enough cheese, and of course, lots of soft biscuits, this easy breakfast casserole is perfect for large gatherings, lazy weekend breakfasts, and holiday brunch. Increase to medium-high, bring to a simmer, stirring until gravy is thickened. This Biscuits and Gravy with Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole is an easy breakfast dish made with biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, and cheese.
Biscuits and gravy casserole step by step
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sausage Gravy In a large oven safe skillet like cast iron, add olive oil, shallot, and sausage. Cook over medium-high heat until sausage is lightly brown..
- Sprinkle 2/3 cup flour over the top of sausage. Stir in flour until absorbed by grease..
- Slowly stir in chicken stock, and then 2 cups milk, to prevent lumps. Bring to a simmer and cook about 4 minutes until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste..
- Biscuits In a large bowl combined 1 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in butter, and shortening, until mixture resembles small peas..
- Slowly stir in 3/4 cup milk, until dough sticks together. Be careful not to over mix. Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons milk if needed..
- Drop 10 equal sized spoonfuls of biscuit dough over the top of sausage gravy..
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center of biscuit comes out clean..
This breakfast casserole is a must make for any occasion. From large gatherings to a simple Sunday morning breakfast. Cut remaining can of the biscuits into quarters and place over the gravy. You can optionally brush tops of biscuits with melted butter. How to make biscuits and gravy casserole recipe: Cut your biscuits into quarters with a pizza cutter.