Hot Cross Buns EasterBake.
You can have Hot Cross Buns EasterBake using 14 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Hot Cross Buns EasterBake
- You need 450 g (1 lb) of strong white flour.
- It’s 15 g (1/2 oz) of dried yeast or 2 x 7g sachets fast acting yeast.
- You need 75 g (3 oz) of butter, chilled and cubed.
- It’s 100 g of (31/2) oz caster sugar.
- It’s 225 ml (8 fl oz) of warm milk.
- Prepare 2 of eggs, beaten.
- It’s 150 g (6 oz) of mixed fruit, (sultanas, currants and mixed peel).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 2 tsp of mixed spice.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of grated nutmeg.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 pack of ready rolled shortcrust pastry.
- You need of Egg Wash.
- You need 2 tbsp of milk mixed with 1 egg and 1 tsp caster sugar.
Hot Cross Buns EasterBake instructions
- In a bowl, mix 1 tbsp of sugar with 60ml (2fl oz) of the warm milk and sprinkle in the yeast. Leave in a warm place for approximately 5 minutes until frothy before sifting the flour into a large mixing bowl..
- Rub in the butter until crumbly before adding the mixed spice, cinnamon, sugar, salt and grated nutmeg. Mix well together..
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the eggs, remaining milk and yeast mixture..
- Mix well until all ingredients combined..
- Knead for a couple of minutes until smooth. Add the mixed fruit and continue until the dough is shiny. You can use a food mixer with dough hook if you like..
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. This may take up to 1 1/2 hours. Knock back by kneading the dough for 5 minutes and place on a work surface covered with a clean tea towel and let rest for 5 minutes..
- Unroll the shortcrust pastry and cut 5 mm (1/4 in) wide strips with a sharp knife..
- Shape the dough into small balls of approximately 40g (1 1/2oz) and place 1cm apart onto a greased baking tray. Brush with the egg wash and mark the top of each bun with a cross using the strips of shortcrust pastry. Gently brush again with the egg wash. Leave to stand for 30-45 minutes until the balls have doubled in size..
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (425 F), Gas mark 7. Bake for 5 minutes before reducing the heat to 200 degrees C (400 F), Gas mark 6 and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the buns are golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack before toasting and slathering with a knob of butter. Must be eaten warm with a cup of tea whilst thinking about hot sunny days and contemplating about how good life is….
recipe by Caroline Allen @cookpad