Egg & Dairy-Free Steamed Shortcake (Layered Spongecake).
You can make Egg & Dairy-Free Steamed Shortcake (Layered Spongecake) using 10 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Egg & Dairy-Free Steamed Shortcake (Layered Spongecake)
- It’s 150 ml of ☆Natural (unflavored) soy milk.
- Prepare 100 ml of ☆Water.
- It’s 60 grams of ☆Beet sugar (or regular white sugar).
- You need 1 tbsp of ☆Lemon juice.
- You need 1/3 tsp of ☆Natural Salt.
- Prepare 200 grams of ★Cake flour.
- It’s 8 grams of ★ Aluminium-free baking powder.
- You need of To decorate the cake.
- It’s 1 of batch Macrobiotic whipped cream.
- You need 1 of Strawberries or other fruits in season.
Egg & Dairy-Free Steamed Shortcake (Layered Spongecake) step by step
- Heat up some water in a steamer. Line the cake tin with parchment paper..
- Put the ☆ ingredients in a bowl and mix. Combine the ★ ingredients and sift into the bowl. Fold them in using a rubber spatula until the mixture is no longer floury..
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tin. Smooth out the surface using a spatula so that the middle is a little indented..
- Once the steam starts from the steamer, put in the filled cake tin and steam over high heat for about 30 minutes. It's done when a bamboo skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean..
- Take the sponge out of the tin and let it cool down completely. Slice off the puffed up middle part (to test for taste) and slice the cake into 2 portions. It's easier to slice if you wet your knife first..
- When the sponge has cooled down completely, decorate with the macrobiotic whipped creamand fruits. https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/148565-macrobiotic-whipped-cream.
- To make a strawberry version: Spread one of the sponge halves with cream, and top with strawberries that have been sliced into thirds. (Use the slices that look nice.).
- Drop some cream on top and spread it out to fill in the gaps in between the strawberries..
- Spread one side of the other sponge slice with cream, and place it on top of the other half cream side down..
- Spread the remaining cream on top, using a spatula to make it neat. If you double the macrobiotic cream recipe (use 1 block of tofu) you can spread it on the sides too..
- Decorate the top with hulled strawberries and it's done!.
- To slice the cake, wet your knife first to make it easier. Wipe the knife after each slice..
recipe by cookpad.japan @cookpad