old fashion buttermilk biscuits. My family gobbles up these biscuits, which are low in fat, cholesterol and sugar. I almost always make these In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. These homemade buttermilk biscuits are the easiest we've ever made.
This version is light, flaky and best of all made with unrefined whole grain flour and real butter. Regular milk can be substituted for buttermilk. Spoon flour into a measuring cup being careful not to pack flour, level off. You can make old fashion buttermilk biscuits using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of old fashion buttermilk biscuits
- It’s 1/4 cup of shortning.
- Prepare 1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 2 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of buttermilk (more as needed).
Old fashioned buttermilk biscuits just like grandma used to make. These country style buttermilk biscuits will gone in minutes when you make them ! This recipe came from my great-great-grandmother, and was handed down to all the women in my family, and we are all Southern. I am the first one to commit the sin of using a food processor (lol) but I find it works very well.
old fashion buttermilk biscuits step by step
- preheat oven to 450 f, melt shortning in ovenproof skillet (i used cast iron).
- mix flour,baking powder,baking soda,salt in a bowl add buttermilk mix well add melted shortning make in to a soft dough with out over working or kneading it very light hands..
- shape dough in to balls place in skillet turning over to coat with shortning, flatten lightly..
Old-fashioned lard biscuits make the best most tender biscuits! I am a firm believer in buttermilk for biscuits. You just want the acidity from the buttermilk to assist in the rise and it also plays a key role in the flavor. My secret to great Southern Style Old Fashion Buttermilk Biscuits, is that I freeze the stick of butter and then use a Course Hand Grater and grate the frozen butter right into the flour There is nothing better than Southern Style Old Fashion Buttermilk Biscuits. These homemade buttermilk biscuits are soft and buttery with hundreds of flaky layers!