Vegan Malai Kofta.
You can have Vegan Malai Kofta using 24 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Vegan Malai Kofta
- It’s of Potatoes.
- You need of extra firm tofu, firm will do as well.
- Prepare of or as needed corn starch.
- You need of minced cilantro with stems.
- Prepare of ginger.
- You need of green chilli.
- It’s of lemon juice.
- You need of black pepper.
- You need of salt.
- You need of frozen green peas.
- Prepare of oil for frying or baking.
- Prepare of Curry Tomato Cream Sauce.
- It’s of large pink onion, coarsely chopped.
- You need of diced tomatoes.
- You need of cashews.
- It’s of garlic, chopped.
- Prepare of " ginger, chopped.
- Prepare of garam masala.
- You need of ground turmeric.
- You need of cayenne pepper.
- You need of salt.
- It’s of can coconut milk.
- Prepare of kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves).
- You need of Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional).
Vegan Malai Kofta step by step
- In a large heavy bottomed pot add the onions, tomatoes, cashews, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, cayenne, and salt..
- Cover the pot and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Transfer the onion and tomato mixture to a blender and blend until smooth, making sure it's cool down or vent it properly so hot air doesn't build up in the blender..
- Pour the creamy mixture back into the pot and add the coconut milk, reserving little back to serve and crush the methi in your fingers and add to the pot. Mix together and cover the pot and set aside until the kofta are ready..
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the tofu by squeezing it until it becomes creamy and no chunks remain. The texture required of ricotta. Or you can blend it in food processor until smooth..
- Add the mashed potatoes to the mashed tofu along with the corn starch, minced cilantro, lemon juice, ginger chilli paste, black pepper and salt. Mix together and test the consistency by forming a lemon sized ball. It should hold together..
- It can stick to your hands a little, but if it is very sticky or too wet and falling apart, you can add a bit more corn starch..
- This can vary on the variety of tofu. Mix in the frozen peas. Shape the kofta and deep fry..
- To fry the kofta: Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium-low heat. Test the oil temperature with a small piece of the kofta mixture: the oil should bubble around it and the kofta should float to the surface quickly after being dropped in..
- Fry the shaped kofta in batches, and fry until the kofta is a beautiful dark golden brown color, flipping halfway through for even cooking. This should take 5-10 minutes, depending on the temperature of your oil..
- When the kofta are cooked, transfer to a paper towel lined plate with a wire strainer..
- When ready to serve, pour the gravy /sauce over the kofta (only use the amount you will eat in one sitting, as the kofta get soggy once in the sauce), then pour the reserved coconut milk over top the kofta. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Enjoy with Indian flatbread and/or basmati rice..
recipe by Shikha Yashu Jethi @cookpad