Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham.
You can cook Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham
- It’s 1 bag of split dried peas rinsed very well (I do not soak my split peas overnight).
- It’s 1-2 of medium to large carrots cleaned and chopped into round nickel size.
- You need 1 stalk of celery cleaned and diced, I do not dice the white or the leaf stalks of the celery. I toss in the diced and the rest using them for flavour.
- You need of Option: ham (I cubed for her) I prefer no meat, although ham adds flavour.
- You need 2 of medium boxes : I do not measure : I covered the peas with Organic Low Sodium Chicken broth.
- You need 1 of large sweet onion diced.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- You need of Milk about 1 to 1-1/2 cups.
- You need Dash of nutmeg.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste.. I used kosher salt and fresh ground peppet.
Homemade Split Pea Soup with Ham instructions
- Using a large heavy gage pot. I used about 1/4 cup of olive oil..
- I allowed the pot get hot, poured out n rinsed split peas with diced carrots, onion, garlic, all of the celery pieces.
- Sauté until the vegetables are almost tender. Pour in slowly both boxes of low sodium chicken broth. Stir,.
- Place heat on medium high until it almost boils. Turn heat on low, allow to cook, about 20 minutes.
- Option: I like mine creamy, I use unsweetened almond milk. My friend brought skim milk..
- Once the soup is almost finished I like to use an Emersion hand blender to help thicken my soup.
- Option: I like a teaspoon full of A good plain green yogurt on top.
- Last but not least Enjoy 😊.
recipe by Candis Brooks @cookpad